Royal Pleco questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikesfankevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone here have any exp. with this fish? I am getting a 220 gallon or something close to that here in june or july and wanted one of them to be part of my community and was debating on whether or not to get on right now. The tank he would be going in would be a 20 gallon with 1 rainbow shark(about 1 1/2 inches), a butterfly pleco, 4 corys, 5 black neons, 3 celebes rainbows and 2 very small angels. The water conditions are perfect and I have drift wood with some java moss. I have heard they produce a lot of waste and can be territorial. Does anyone have one of these fish and do you think it would work in my tank? If not I will hold off on one. Thanks

I don't have any experience with the royal pleco but I have noticed all the plecos I have ever had are very territorial. They will actually use their tail to swat at other fish especially when they have their special food. The bottom is pretty crowded with the shark, butterfly and corys so you might want a back up plan if it doesn't go well.

i dont have an answer to your question, rather a question about one of your fish. i have a lfs that has a butterfly pleco. can you tell me anything about yours? how big do they get?

I don't have any experience with the royal pleco but I have noticed all the plecos I have ever had are very territorial. They will actually use their tail to swat at other fish especially when they have their special food. The bottom is pretty crowded with the shark, butterfly and corys so you might want a back up plan if it doesn't go well.

Yea I was thinking that might be the case. Thanks

i dont have an answer to your question, rather a question about one of your fish. i have a lfs that has a butterfly pleco. can you tell me anything about yours? how big do they get?
Well I have had him now for 3 or 4 months and they are great at keeping the tank spotless. They are real good when it comes to cleaning glass. He is still only about an inch and a half (his body is about an inch). I dont believe they get much larger than a few inches and don't appear to grow very fast. I really like them.

I know send me your butterfly to make room for your royal!!!

Back
Top Bottom