salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K

kansaschick08

How much do salt water tanks cost? Not that i want one. i just wanna know so when my other fish leave me...I can invest in one. is an otto fish a salt or fresh water fish?compatible with mollie? im not saying i want one, i just wanna know.

SW is usually more expensive then FW, as there is more need for filtration, the fish are usually more expensive and there are additional purchases you have to make, like bags of marine salt. Impossible to say how much one costs tho; depends on what size tank, what type of filtration, what sorta fish, etc.

Otos are FW only. Mollies are one of the few aquarium fish that can go either way; most fish are FW, brackish OR SW. Otos can be compatible personality wise with mollies, but if you keep mollies in brackish or SW then no otos. Otos also don't do well in the hard water mollies prefer.

Oh, and what kinda fish do you have? I forget. Heh, if I waited for my fish to leave me before going SW, I might get pretty impatient LOL plecos and clownfish can easily live 20 yrs or possibly more if well kept, angels should hit at least a decade.

my SW setup is going on about 3k for a fully stocked 55g reef tank.. I have made a few un needed purchases but all in all I would say about 3k for a good efficient fully stocked reef is about average.. I have attached a pic of my tank as of today with 3100.00 invested in it so far with all the equiptment.. All the equiptment was new and i kinda like to buy the best in most places ;)

James

Yeah... easily 3K. SW isn't cheap!!

Some other things you need (pretty much) there that you don't in a FW:

live rock and/or aragonite live sand
protein skimmer
marine salt
sometimes UV sterilizer
usually a sump filtration system

It gets really $$$.

However my bedroom tank 29g FOWLR is only about 400.00 with equiptment, Rock, and Fish.. It is no where near what my Main tank is.. Heck I dont even really monitor the levels in the 29g anymore... Here is a pic of the 29g.. LOL Now dont laugh too much LOL

James

Ummm...James, where are the fish in your FOWLR tank? :D

I think MAYBE I see one in the lower left in the shadows between rocks.

there is a damsel in there as well as a baby Humu Trigger.. The Damsel is most likely the one you see in the shadows.. The trigger hides pretty well when anyone is in the room.. I am hoping that the addition of 30lbs more rock will make it feel more comfortable.. The only things that I have in the tank is

1 Damsel (gift)
1 baby Humu Trigger (picasso)
1 Bulb tipped Anemone
Xenia
Vairious hitchhikers that I didnt want in the main tank LOL this tank was my just tank for stuff I didnt want in the Main Display LOL..

James

Possibly freek, but the oto/mollie questions may have not been answered.

Back
Top Bottom