Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another vote for pool filter sand. i have it in 2 tanks and love it. I had an "aquarium" sand in our 40g when we set it up and hated it.

If you're truly worried about compacting, pool filter sand doesn't compact. I've had no issues with gas pockets in our tanks.

Another thing you can try, and the particles are a bit larger, is 3M color quartz T grade. S grade is sand grade but will compact, T grade is larger, comes in lots of colors and doesn't compact. I have that in 5 tanks. I use the black. No fading like regular black aquarium gravels.

There's also one I have in our river tank. It's a bit bigger than the 3M T grade, it's called Texas Grit. It's made for aquariums.

This is for the 3M:
3M Colorquartz™ Ceramic-Coated Crystals Color Chart

This is the Texas grit:
Dowell Texas Grit Aquarium Gravel - 25lbs

This is the sand we used to use, that I don't suggest. Just showing you as a warning:
FishGravel.com Aquatic Sands

giggalz said:
i keep getting conflicting answers and opinions through googling...you all have been helpful..just still not sure what to get...a specific freshwater tank sand or pool sand...i've at least narrowed it down...i've heard people use playsand but in my head thats made to get compact...so i'm going against that...

Just did my first tank with sand and chose PFS. A rinse in a pillowcase under the shower head was all I had to do and I love it. Looks natural, when I planted there was no cloud of dust and when I vacuum it stays put. Gonna redo my 37g with it and planning a GSP brackish that will get PFS.

i was getting sold on the pool filter sand then became unsure...i think you might be selling me back on it again lol..i live in a small state so this would have to be ordered and not sure if they could do that for me..plus with gravel or sand it costs sooo much for a little bag..and getting that online would just suck lol..

and yes i'm worried about compacting and having the gas bubble problems...and then wasting all that money on everything...*you know just my luck*

dragon do you stir the sand constantly in your tanks to prevent this or left it alone..i'm thinking of a kuhli loach...i'm seriously against snails their just gross..i'm sorry..lol

i was getting sold on the pool filter sand then became unsure...i think you might be selling me back on it again lol..i live in a small state so this would have to be ordered and not sure if they could do that for me..plus with gravel or sand it costs sooo much for a little bag..and getting that online would just suck lol..

and yes i'm worried about compacting and having the gas bubble problems...and then wasting all that money on everything...*you know just my luck*

dragon do you stir the sand constantly in your tanks to prevent this or left it alone..i'm thinking of a kuhli loach...i'm seriously against snails their just gross..i'm sorry..lol

I do stir it when I'm cleaning. I had heard about the gas pockets as well. I use a python when working on our tanks, so I just clean the sand as I would gravel, sticking the tube into the sand only an inch or two. After that, i get in there with a rake and move it around while the siphon is still draining water.

This is what I use to rake the sand:
JBJ Aquascraper 4-in-1 Cleaning Kit

I don't stir mine and have never had an issue. Really, this gas pocket thing IMO is overrated. Maybe if you have 6" of sand, but if you're only doing ~2" or so, you are not going to have any issues. And... my FWIW comment... that could happen with anything short of 1" diameter rocks. People hear something, throw it out of proportion, repeat it, and eventually its 100 times worse than what originally was said.

mfdrookie516 said:
I don't stir mine and have never had an issue. Really, this gas pocket thing IMO is overrated. Maybe if you have 6" of sand, but if you're only doing ~2" or so, you are not going to have any issues. And... my FWIW comment... that could happen with anything short of 1" diameter rocks. People hear something, throw it out of proportion, repeat it, and eventually its 100 times worse than what originally was said.

+1

I've seen reference to the gas pocket issue, but in all my research before moving to PFS, no one actually had it happen. I use my vacuum's hose (sans tube) on my 8g with a toothpick rubber banded to the end to lightly stir the sand and pick up detris/food, it works great on small tanks IME.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110407_072017.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110407_072017.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 70
I've seen reference to the gas pocket issue, but in all my research before moving to PFS, no one actually had it happen. I use my vacuum's hose (sans tube) on my 8g with a toothpick rubber banded to the end to lightly stir the sand and pick up detris/food, it works great on small tanks IME.

+1

Thats pretty clever

I do stir it when I'm cleaning. I had heard about the gas pockets as well. I use a python when working on our tanks, so I just clean the sand as I would gravel, sticking the tube into the sand only an inch or two. After that, i get in there with a rake and move it around while the siphon is still draining water.

This is what I use to rake the sand:
JBJ Aquascraper 4-in-1 Cleaning Kit

coool! that would come in handy for me..i have to get on a chair to get my whole arm in there for mine..its tall

i've read a lot of people worried about it..but not to much that it happened to them...i dont plan on having that much sand at the bottom of my tank..so i may not have to much problems with it

+1

wow very cool!

yeah, like I said.... people say it over and over again and suddenly everyone is afraid of it. But, I've not heard one person say it actually happened to them. And, even if it did, there's too much evidence to say it won't have a negative effect on the fish.

What about the diatoms or algae growth?
I read that the "branded sand" has something that prevents the grow of algae or diatoms. Is this true?

ejaramillo01 said:
What about the diatoms or algae growth?
I read that the "branded sand" has something that prevents the grow of algae or diatoms. Is this true?

I would think they'd have to apply some kind of chem to keep them at bay, but wouldn't it wear off and then become ineffective over time? Additionally, you'd be adding chems to your tank and I try to keep that to a bare minimum, if at all.

PFS is all natural and unlike $10 for a tiny bag at Petco (2 or 3lbs?), I can get 50lbs for the same price. I'm guessing but that chem treated sand must be pricey.

Viper said:
+1

Thats pretty clever

giggalz said:
wow very cool!

Thanks but I can't take credit for it, the fish dude at my local Petco gave me the idea. I'm working to improve on it though, because it still sucks up too much water before I can get everything out of my little 8g that I'd like too :p.

I use a turkey baster to get the vacuum going so I'm not gargling with fish poo lol.

Viper said:
I've used the turkey baster as well. Works really well.

I tried it directly in the tank but it was kind of a pain hitting each spot I could see, plus with the toothpick I can stir an inch into the sand and keep it cleaner. Small tanks are cool, but it's tougher than my big tank to work with.

The sand I use has a polymer/ceramic coating that prevents the silica from causing brown algae. I cannot tell that any of it on mine has worn off. this is also where the color is.

My two biggest reasons for using this sand is the color and the uniform size. My understanding is that the 3M colorquartz is actually the same thing, but I haven't had a chance to check it out in person to see for sure.

I have seen toxic gasses in tanks, someone on here had as well. It is rare but does happen. A sand course enough to allow enough space between grains should allow oxygen to get to the whole sanded and prevent it though.

Thanks but I can't take credit for it, the fish dude at my local Petco gave me the idea. I'm working to improve on it though, because it still sucks up too much water before I can get everything out of my little 8g that I'd like too :p.

I use a turkey baster to get the vacuum going so I'm not gargling with fish poo lol.

ewww to gargling fish poo lol

geez now you're making me worried about my sand turning an ewwie brown...i dont want that lol

Back
Top Bottom