sand cloud quesiton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abomb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am sure this has been discussed before but i thought i would make a new topic...A. it will be easier for me. B. ill get more posts on my account this way :)!.

last night i set up my new tank with white sand. It is still cloudy.

i was curious as to how long i can expect it to be cloudy and it will be crystal clear eventualy correct?????

SHould i turn on the filter will this help any? yes i do hav eit covered but rather then a sponge i opted to use a bio bag filter..... thanks

adam

Yes, I'd go ahead and turn on the filter. May I assume you rinsed the sand first? Often even with rinsing you will get a cloud that can persist for a day or two.

It will clear up eventually once the sand is covered with beneficial bacteria that will tend to keep the sand from flying around the tank. Meanwhile, fire up those fog lamps! :lol:

it depends on if the filter is sucking it up... i mean when I had my 55 gal first setup it took about a week because the filter kept sucking it up and mixing it with the water. so I added a new filter (i tried using everything else, pantyhose, foam etc... as prefilters but it just didnt work)

meanwhile I had a 5 gal I put some sand into (same sand came from the sand bag) and it was practically clear when I filled it up. then I had my 10 gallon which I recently re-setup and it took about two days...

I noticed that the white sand in our 55 lingered longer than the black or beige. Every tank varies on how long it will take for the cloudiness to go away. Do you have filter floss in your filtration unit (assuming you have a canister)?

Back
Top Bottom