Sand Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYFishGuy714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody! back again :cool:

Alright well I just bought two 55 gallon fish tanks and don't want to go with gravel like my other tanks.

Not only do I prefer the look of sand in an aquarium better than gravel but I'm going to have a big school of Corys in each tank and I figured they would enjoy the sand more.

So the question of the day is....

What type of sand would be good for my tropical fish tank? I've never had a tank with sand before and I have no clue what kind to look for. Brand? Certain type?

:huh:

Play sand. It's very nice looking in aquarium and very cheap. 3.00 for 50lbs bag. Only cons is that you will have to rinse it really well or it will cloud up tank. Took me about an hour to rinse one bag.

I have done my 55g with sand recently and it took around 45kg (at a guess).

I used sand sold for aquarium use, it was probably more expensive at £18 per 25kg bag, but it only required a little washing.

I know a lot of people use pool filter sand also. I have silica sand in my tank, I love the look of it although you can tell when it gets dirty sometimes although if you have corys in the tank that might not be much of a problem. Mine does not get stirred around enough by the fish.

Thanks to everybody who replied. :)

I'm going to head out tomorrow and look into each of the sands you all mentioned.

It seems to me the aquarium sand I can get at a lfs is more of a fine sand you might say? I read something that said pool filter sand is a good option also because it has a more natural look and is easier to vacuum. Anybody have some insight on that?

You can look into black sand as well if you want it less obvious when the sand is dirty. It's mostly up to personal preference, but some fish will color up more on the darker substrate. I use the Caribsea Tahitian Moon sand in one of my tanks and have had zero issues with it for my ADFs. It's very fine and soft.

You can look into black sand as well if you want it less obvious when the sand is dirty. It's mostly up to personal preference, but some fish will color up more on the darker substrate. I use the Caribsea Tahitian Moon sand in one of my tanks and have had zero issues with it for my ADFs. It's very fine and soft.

Do you buy it in lfs in your area or online?

I found mine at my LFS, but you can get it online at places like Liveaquaria.com as well.

Thanks, I think I'll order some and try it out. I have two new 55 gallon tanks so I'm gonna go with pool filter sand in one and the Caribsea Tahitian Moon sand you suggested. :)

Look on Craigslist. I got 120lbs of African cichlid sand for 30 dollars. It's normally 30 dollars for 20lbs each.

Attachments

• image-2231966420.jpg
    image-2231966420.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom