Schedule for Replacing Fluval Edge Filter Components

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electro_cute

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

Quick question. I have had my Fluval Edge set up for a few months now and according to the instructions manual it is now time to replace a few of my filter components (BIOMAX, carbon sachet, etc).

From your experience, should I be following the replacement schedule provided or is it dangerous for the beneficial bacteria in the tank to replace the filters that often?

Thanks a lot!

IMO there is no need to replace biomedia (ie BIOMAX). The ceramics should last forever, and the bacteria lives on the surface, so "replace due to clogged pores" really doesn't apply. You might want to rinse the biomedia in tank water to get rid of the major crud buildup, but I don't think they need replacing.

Carbon loses its effectiveness within weeks. If you used carbon to remove meds, etc. it should be replaced. However, I generally don't run carbon routinely. It is far better to put fresh carbon in the filter only when you need it (to remove meds, or tannis in water, etc.), and remove it when it had done its job.

As for poly/sponge filters, I use mine until they fall apart. I simply rinse with each water change & reuse the filter pads.

jsoong said:
IMO there is no need to replace biomedia (ie BIOMAX). The ceramics should last forever, and the bacteria lives on the surface, so "replace due to clogged pores" really doesn't apply. You might want to rinse the biomedia in tank water to get rid of the major crud buildup, but I don't think they need replacing.

Carbon loses its effectiveness within weeks. If you used carbon to remove meds, etc. it should be replaced. However, I generally don't run carbon routinely. It is far better to put fresh carbon in the filter only when you need it (to remove meds, or tannis in water, etc.), and remove it when it had done its job.

As for poly/sponge filters, I use mine until they fall apart. I simply rinse with each water change & reuse the filter pads.

You are the best!! Thanks a lot. Great advice - very detailed.

Back
Top Bottom