school size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it really alsways necessary to get 5 or more of certain types of fish?

I'm speaking specifically concerning rosy barbs, rainbowfish, odessa barbs, and the like. These fish get up to 4" or more. Once you get 5 or 6 you are up to 20 - 25" of fish. That one species by itself almost maxes-out a 29 gallon aquarium.

I just purchased 8 dwarf neon (Praecox) rainbowfish. They only get ca. 2" so I'm up to 16" with them. I got 3 males and 5 females.

I think the more of a species, the happier and more comfortable the fish. At the same time, I think you could get away with three of a certain schooling fish, they just might not be as colorful as they could be.

I have 4 rummy nose tetras currently, working up to a school of 8, and I can tell they've some more color to come. It probably also depends on what else is in the tank. :shrug:

Remember, 29 gallons isn't a very big tank. It might seem like it is, but it's not. Smaller tetra species, mollies, guppies...these are the fish that you get for schoolers in a tank that size.
When you get 4 foot tanks (55 / 75 gallon) that's when you keep the slightly bigger schoolers, or the more active ones (tiger barbs, larger tetra, rainbow fish).

I think you would be okay with 5 odessa barbs (like mentioned in another post) so thats about 10 inches (cuz from what I read they get to be 2in)

it all depends on the fish, and how well you maintain the aquarium, i used to have a tank with 2 guppies, 2 zebra danios and 2 tiger barbs (dont ask how they got along but they did) with other types in the tank and they seemed to do well, its all on size of tank and how you plan to have them....GOOD LUCK! :D

It depends on the fish , I have three praecox with a male betta a pitbull pleco and a dwarf cory in a nine gallon but it is planted and has two filter s... alll get along well ...

Back
Top Bottom