Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to lukepghpa
seafood??

Does anyone look at seafood differently after owning an aquarium? I personally, love swordfish,salmon and mahi mahi...But some people I have talked to have stopped eating seafood after becoming tank owners

1 electric blue
2 plecos
lukepghpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know about the rest of you but when I see a Lobster I always think....how big of a tank do I need to raise Maine Lobsters or Snow King Crabs? Ohhh yummy. OR, jumbo shrimp.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like to eat fish a bit. I feel so bad for those lobsters that you see in the grocery store though, just sitting on top of one another in that little tank. Its a bit like beef to me. We had a few pet cows but that didn't stop me from eating meat. But I could never kill one of my pets and have them for dinner.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
lol that reminds me of the simpsons with pinchy lol. homer accidently dropped him into a boiling pot of water and at the end eats him by himself "pinchy would of wanted it this way"
Old 04-17-2005, 01:35 AM   #5

I don't like seafood, but its not because of owning fish, or at least not conciously.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:43 AM   #6
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I love seafood....owning tropical fish only makes me wonder what they taste like...
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
owning tropical fish only makes me wonder what they taste like...
You know, with all the medication I see on the shelves that I see labelled "not for food fish", I wouldn't attempt it! Jokes aside, I love seafood. I'm the guy at Todai always in line for lobster.:P

Heatware 164-0-0
bzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't ever cook my own seafood. Well, the only exception would be boiled shrimp and I only cook that for Christmas Eve. I rely exclusively on Red Lobster or Reid's for my seafood cravings! The Ultimate Feast, no fried shrimp, scampi instead. Usually I end up taking home the scampi though. The Lobster and Crab legs aren't good nuked. Reid's has a special every Friday night of 1 lb of King Crab Legs for $4.99. Man how can you pass THAT up?! Just if I could get a tank big enough to raise my own Crabs. hmmmm.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:24 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Ariamus Send a message via Yahoo to Ariamus
You know...

...that's a really good question. I know that eating live things is not the way to go if the human race is to evolve past their present stage. Empathy is what humanity lacks; when it has enough of it to realize that killing living creatures for sustenance, a practice long since necessary, then I feel that it will finally be on its way to the next level of advancement. Despite the "awareness" I have regarding this shortcoming on my part (I'm also well aware of the fact that my sports fanaticism flies in the face of the fact that I understand that any mechanism society has invented to segrate its members into different, rival groups must be eliminated before we can evolve further), I must say that I much prefer the fruits of the ocean to those of the land. It's a conscientious decision based on a dichotomy that is impossible to reconcile so I just chalk it up to being a hypocrit on some level.

I like beef and chicken but given the choice, I prefer salmon steak to rib-eye any day of the week and twice on sundays. Owning an aquarium has done nothing to mitigate those desires. The way I see it, if I can stick to eating those fish that I'm fairly certain are available aplenty (farm-raised salmon, any kinds of sardines, tuna other than blue-fin), then I'm OK. I also enjoy shell-fish a great bunch and thankfully, except for the lobster, all the other shell-fish I like are available in spades.
5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 6 Cherry Barbs, 7 Algae Eaters, 6 Tiger Barbs, 6 Black Ruby Barbs, 6 Tri-color (Bala) Sharks, 6 Clown Loaches, 7 Assorted Corydoras, 1 Red-tailed Black Shark, 2 Rainbow Sharks

30 gal, Freshwater, "holding" community
2 Plecos, 16 assorted African Chiclid juveniles including: 5 Red Zebras, 5 Keniye (4 females & 1 male), 3 Acei, 3 Saluzzis (sp?), 3 Auratus (sp?), 1 adult female Keniye

Rui, aka Ariamus
Ariamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 05:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only seafood I eat is fish and i still eat it, after owning my tanks hoever i think that if i did enjoy other sea food's i would be put of them by now lol
Old 04-17-2005, 05:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
i've been going deep sea fishing for years; i clean and eat the fish i catch. my uncle and i used to go 1-2 times a week but now he's busy and i'm out of highschool so i guess i took up fish keeping and surfing to fill the void. i have no problem seperating the two since they serve different purposes; fish for food and fish as pets.
Felf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #12

I stopped eating fish (and other animals) more than 10 years before I started keeping fish, but I find that now that I know some fish personally I find it more disturbing to see people eating fish that still have the heads on.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I object to consuming many marine organisms (both farmed and wild-caught) on the basis of both environmental concerns and potential anthropogenic contamination (primarily the former).

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com