Seeding Material..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kawaipoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I've been cycling (fishless) my 30G tank for over 2 weeks now and theres still no trace of nitrite, with Ammonia staying at 4ppm.

I Have a 5G tank which is close to finishing cycling (started at the same time as above). I was wondering how I can use my 5G filter media (pictured below) to help my 30G to start, without affecting my 5G tank?

If thats possible,

:thanks:

Attachments

• media.png
    media.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 375
Hi,

I've been cycling (fishless) my 30G tank for over 2 weeks now and theres still no trace of nitrite, with Ammonia staying at 4ppm.

I Have a 5G tank which is close to finishing cycling (started at the same time as above). I was wondering how I can use my 5G filter media (pictured below) to help my 30G to start, without affecting my 5G tank?

If thats possible,

:thanks:

Smaller tanks cycle faster, but if your 5g is just finishing its cycle and you pull media from it, I'd think it would cause a mini cycle at the very least.

The most important thing needed in cycling a tank is patience :D.

+1 for Mr. Limpet
Taking the media and disturbing the bacteria before they are well established is just asking for problems. I would just wait it out, good things come with time.

I personally don't see any real problem with it. It would absolutely set the cycle of the 5 gallon back a ways, but the benefit would be getting a jump start on the 30 gallon in exchange. You've got to weigh the pros and cons and take a measurement of how patient of a person you are :)

Hi,

Is it possible to try and fit an extra filter sponge (above picture) into my fluval U1 filter in 5G (fully cycled) for 2 weeks, then take the extra one out and put into 30G to help seeding?

As still not seeing nitrItes on 30G :(

Many thanks,

Kawaipoon said:
Hi,

Is it possible to try and fit an extra filter sponge (above picture) into my fluval U1 filter in 5G (fully cycled) for 2 weeks, then take the extra one out and put into 30G to help seeding?

Many thanks,

Sure! Stick the old filter in so it's the first thing the water hits in the filter, then stick the new filter right behind it so they're squeezed together.

Hi,

Many thanks,

Are you talking about removing all the seeded material in the 5g, or is it just partial removal?

Gravel, plants, decco from the 5g tank will help seed the other tank too IMO. Do you have fish in the 5g? Tanks take a while to cure IME and it could cause a mini cycle, but it's really up to you.

Sorry didnt make it clear,

My 5G tank finished fisheless cycling about 2 days ago, currently with no fishes.

I have a fluval U1, which only contains a small sponge in it. I was wondering if i could try and fit another in the filter, leave it for 2 weeks, and then take it out and seed the 30G? Keeping the old sponge in the filter for 5G.

Mr. Limpet said:
Are you talking about removing all the seeded material in the 5g, or is it just partial removal?

Gravel, plants, decco from the 5g tank will help seed the other tank too IMO. Do you have fish in the 5g? Tanks take a while to cure IME and it could cause a mini cycle, but it's really up to you.

Yeah, I was under the impression he was going to place filter material into the cycled tank to grow some bacteria on it, then once it's seeded throw it into the uncycled tank.

I did a few days back, cut off 10% of the sponge from 5G and put into 30G filter. The tank still seems to be stubborn, with no trace of nitrite!

30G tank fishless cycling = 25 Days :(

Yeah, I was under the impression he was going to place filter material into the cycled tank to grow some bacteria on it, then once it's seeded throw it into the uncycled tank.

Hi Eco,

That is what i was thinking of doing, but keeping the old material in 5G filter, and the new on into uncycled tank to seed?

Hi Eco,

That is what i was thinking of doing, but keeping the old material in 5G filter, and the new on into uncycled tank to seed?

Gotcha. Sure you can, even putting inside the cycled tank will seed it. It doesn't "have" to be in the filter, but it might seed it a little faster.

@eco: What if he was to take the sponge from the cycled tank and squeeze it out into the 30g? You think with would help the 30g, or hurt the cycle of the 5g? Just a thought.

Kawaipoon said:
Hi Eco,

Either way is fine, the older material will have more bacteria on it...but both ways will work. I think you'd need to have the new sitting next to the old for a couple weeks though for it to really be of too much use.

I the 5 gallon unstocked? Are you a patient man (or woman :) )? If getting fish ASAP is your priority, understandably, the idea of seeding the new filter for a while before transplanting it is a good idea. If your goal is to simply have 2 cycled tanks and you're not pressed to get fish immediately, I'd slowly sacrifice media from the 5 gallon to kick the bigger one into gear. If you did it slowly enough it probably wouldn't cause a mini cycle, but if you took a bunch at once you'd basically have to consider the 5 gallon as still cycling.

Mr. Limpet said:
Gotcha. Sure you can, even putting inside the cycled tank will seed it. It doesn't "have" to be in the filter, but it might seed it a little faster.

@eco: What if he was to take the sponge from the cycled tank and squeeze it out into the 30g? You think with would help the 30g, or hurt the cycle of the 5g? Just a thought.

Agreed, the more bacteria the better. I wouldn't think just a good squeeze would knock off too much bacteria for it to affect the 5 gallon...but I'd probably just slowly donate the actual media from the 5 to the 30.

The 5 gallon is currently unstocked, I wasn't looking to add any fish until both tanks have been cycled.

I dont mind having to wait for tanks to fully cycle, just the thought of 30G never starting is killing me:banghead:.

My next question was how long to leave media in for, which you've also answered!

Just fingers crossed for nitrItes!!!

P.S Impatient man:wave:

Kawaipoon said:
The 5 gallon is currently unstocked, I wasn't looking to add any fish until both tanks have been cycled.

I dont mind having to wait for tanks to fully cycle, just the thought of 30G never starting is killing me:banghead:.

My next question was how long to leave media in for, which you've also answered!

Hey, I'd say waiting for both tanks to be cycled before stocking qualifies you as a patient man, lol. If that's your goal, I'd personally transplant maybe 30-35% of the 5 gallons filter into the 30 gallons filter area. It'll probably uncycle your 5 gallon a bit...but should recover pretty quickly.

So you have gravel, decco, maybe plants in the 5g? If so they have bacteria on them too IME.

I'd suggest, keep the 30g media in it's filter and putting the 5g sponge in with it for a few days, then move it back. Even if you have a mini cycle in the 5g, it'll recover long before the 30g is fully cycled IMO.

Also, not something I mention in the guide...but you can also consider dosing up to around 2-3ppm ammo instead of the normally recommended 4. The 4ppm idea is to make your bio-filter the equivalent of Superman. Having a slightly smaller dose will require less bacteria to be grown, should help it cycle faster, and will make enough bacteria to handle the fish you put in unless you go seriously overboard.

I don't usually mention it because I don't want some idiot using the guide, getting it cycled then adding 100 Pacus to the thing, then yell at me that he's got ammonia levels, lol.

Yay! Mr Limpet and I agree! Haha. I love Mr Limpet, he's one of the few people on this site I can learn from and reach a mutual understanding because we're both capable of having a factual, intelligent conversation without getting all heated, lol. He still won't link my guide though, hahaha!

Thanks both for helping me this much!!(y)

I will deff read this thread over+over again and try all/most the things mentioned, hopefully the stubborn 30G with give up and start showing nitrite!

Will deff keep updated when I show some nitrIte (fingers crossed)

Thanks again,

Back
Top Bottom