Separate fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoked

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is just a thought and we will go with guppies since that is what I breed. One of the goals is to separate the male from female to ensure who parent fish are. As of right now I have 10g fry tanks. Problems is their is no set time for a guppy a to mature. Every single one is different. I know their are as average times but its not set in stone. I have some glass siting around and was thinking about building several small tanks like really small to house them in until its a sure thing what sex they are. Question is what is the smallest size tank that they would be fine in. Filtration and all of that is not an issue. I can figure that out latter but what size would work. I doubt a 1"x1"x1" that's way to small to work maybe 4"-6" be ok. I have tried to search on Internet but I honestly can't seam to find any multi tank units that small. Any help would be appreciated.

Also how long could they be kept in said tank?

It may be simpler to separate them in breeder nets or breeder boxes. That way, no worries about ammonia or filtration or anything. You can get small nets, hang over the tank edge, or small boxes that float, both work.

Very small tanks as you are thinking of are going to be hell to manage, I've seen a few attempts at similar concepts and problems arise with keeping the water circulating and food from building up, and sometimes oxygen saturation too.

I am not certain when guppies reach sexual maturity, but I think it is not 'til after you can see some colour on the boys. So you should have some time to work with a given brood.

I keep Endlers, pure strain, and the fry are all in a large hang on inside tank breeder box, that has it's own sponge and filtration. Works very well, but of course, I can't get separate the boys out 'til they begin to show some colour. Usually shows in the tail first. I don't know how soon after that they become sexually capable, but then, the females have to be of age too.

Hmmmm well I have a few ideas that would work for filtration and everything but I see what your saying. It's just a pain because some of course grow faster then others. There are a few that are almost ready to be in with the bigger fish. And if they are growing at different rates they will mature at different rates as well. Just don't want to have that chance of one male waiting to mature and not noticing him and then all the sudden bam e knocks up all the females. I am very active with all my tanks but it only takes a second for it all go to waste. Idk maybe I just won't do such a large scale breeding maybe limit it to only a few an get a few 5gal to let individuals grow out in... Decisions, decisions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom