setting up a new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of us do 50% weekly. You want nitrates to stay under 20. Depending on how you choose to cycle the tank, fish-in can require daily water changes. Fish less you have an empty tank but no water changes till the cycle is completed.

Caleb

I mean after you get the fish, is it monthly?

I mean after you get the fish, is it monthly?

No most do them weekly or every other week depending on stock and how heavily planted the tank is. Wcs are how you remove nitrates from your system, because while nitrate isn't as deadly as ammonia or nitrite in elevated levels it's bad for the fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No most do them weekly or every other week depending on stock and how heavily planted the tank is. Wcs are how you remove nitrates from your system, because while nitrate isn't as deadly as ammonia or nitrite in elevated levels it's bad for the fish

Thank you. How much of the water should I change 25%?

Also what type of water care stuff do you use? just a conditioner?

Anywhere from 25-50% is suitable. You said you have a test kit now so at the end of the week test your nitrates. If your nitrates are let's say 40ppm then a 50% water change will bring them down to 20ppm. Simple math.

I only use water conditioner in my tanks, don't feel the need to add anything else. Many of the people here stand by using Seachem Prime(myself included) as our water conditioner.

Caleb

Anywhere from 25-50% is suitable. You said you have a test kit now so at the end of the week test your nitrates. If your nitrates are let's say 40ppm then a 50% water change will bring them down to 20ppm. Simple math.

I only use water conditioner in my tanks, don't feel the need to add anything else. Many of the people here stand by using Seachem Prime(myself included) as our water conditioner.

Caleb

Thanks Im doing a little bit of research between the different water conditioners, they have one for glo fish but it just says to use when setting up.

Caleb

+1, I always felt prime was the best value

Thanks Im doing a little bit of research between the different water conditioners, they have one for glo fish but it just says to use when setting up.

Water conditioners are universal to all fish. I don't see one benefitting glofish specifically more than any other.

That aside, 1 week of sitting there won't cycle the tank. I've heard stores say "let it sit and stabilize a few days" the only purpose of that is to check equipment such as your heater and filter to make sure they are working properly. Other than that, your tank is just sitting there. Cycling takes longer than a week.

Caleb

Water conditioners are universal to all fish. I don't see one benefitting glofish specifically more than any other.

That aside, 1 week of sitting there won't cycle the tank. I've heard stores say "let it sit and stabilize a few days" the only purpose of that is to check equipment such as your heater and filter to make sure they are working properly. Other than that, your tank is just sitting there. Cycling takes longer than a week.

Caleb

This is what it says in the details "GloFish Water Conditioner is scientifically developed conditioner with unique immune boosters and stress reducers so your GloFish will thrive and display full coloration. Add to all water before adding to your aquarium to ensure your fish are safe." So Im not really sure if I should use it or just go with prime or Tetra AquaSafe or the API one or the Top Fin one

That sounds like the GloFish(TM) people try to get you to spend your money on them instead of another company.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

When you do water changes do you treat for the whole tank or just what you are changing? So if I changed my 5-10gals would I just treat the 5-10 with conditioner or the full 20?

When you do water changes do you treat for the whole tank or just what you are changing? So if I changed my 5-10gals would I just treat the 5-10 with conditioner or the full 20?

You only need to treat what you are changing. I tend to use enough to treat a little extra just in case. So for a 10 gallon water change I use 15 gallons worth of conditioner.

You only need to treat what you are changing. I tend to use enough to treat a little extra just in case. So for a 10 gallon water change I use 15 gallons worth of conditioner.

Well I must be using a lot of extra conditioner... I've always treated for the full volume of the tank before refilling it.

Caleb

Well I must be using a lot of extra conditioner... I've always treated for the full volume of the tank before refilling it.

Caleb

Water conditioner is prettymuch impossible to overdose, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless you're breaking your budget on water conditioner :lol:

Lol does half water through a 2L bottle of prime say anything? :D

Caleb

That's why I got a gigantic bottle of "regular" water conditioner, so I would stop blowing through prime :lol: Regular conditioner for normal changes, Prime for "problem" water changes. I'm getting one of those gallon containers of API water conditioner :ROFLMAO:

That's why I got a gigantic bottle of "regular" water conditioner, so I would stop blowing through prime :lol: Regular conditioner for normal changes, Prime for "problem" water changes. I'm getting one of those gallon containers of API water conditioner :ROFLMAO:

I'd like to know a price difference on that.. If it's a big difference I'll make the switch and just use prime for the problems.

Caleb

I'd like to know a price difference on that.. If it's a big difference I'll make the switch and just use prime for the problems.

Caleb

I'd have to look into it. If you're meticulous about water conditioner dosing then just straight prime is probably cheaper. But considering how much more concentrated prime is, and my tendency to overdose water conditioner, it's probably cheaper for me to use a more dilute conditioner that's easer to measure out closely.

Just looking at it, aquasafe costs about 2.5 times more if you're meticulous about water conditioner use, but if you're like me and use a lot extra, it about evens out to have both. I tend to use a full cap of prime(treats 50 gallons) no matter how much I'm treating on my 20 gallons, whereas if I use a full cap of aquasafe it treats 20 gallons. The gallon of API water conditioner for $25 sale at my LFS though.... that's gonna save me a psychotic amount of money :D

How much water conditioner you use depends on how you do your water changes.

If you're filling a container, like a 5 gallon bucket, then you can just use enough to treat the amount of water that is going into the container.

If you're using a hose to fill the aquarium directly from the sink, like I do, then you're supposed to add enough to treat the entire volume of the tank.

How much water conditioner you use depends on how you do your water changes.

If you're filling a container, like a 5 gallon bucket, then you can just use enough to treat the amount of water that is going into the container.

If you're using a hose to fill the aquarium directly from the sink, like I do, then you're supposed to add enough to treat the entire volume of the tank.

That's how I always thought of it. Sini over here throwing me off :)

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom