Setting up my 5 gallon: Which of these fish/shrimp to choose? (Or others?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I am thinking about setting up my little 5 gallon tank again and am doing some research in preparation.

I have been considering: 2-4 guppies, or 3-6 neon tetras, or a few cherry red shrimp. Will these types of fish/shrimp be happy and healthy in a 5 gallon, even as adults? Are these numbers appropriate for the tank size? Any other suggestions for other types of fish/shrimp?

I like bettas, but I felt like my last betta was rather lonely so I would prefer a fish that can be kept with a couple of fish friends.

I do not want anything that will breed wildly since I have only the one little tank. If I got only male guppies or only male shrimp, would they be happy and not fight amongst themselves?

Thanks in advance for any advice or input!

I would go with the shrimp becuase they would like it better in there.
For breeding i wouldnt care if you had a male and female just take them out and sell them back to the Store. If you do go with male only shrimp i would not seggust it as they are dull. The females are a brighter red and much more colourful.

If you want to plant with live plants, then definitely go for the shrimp. Another option would be to go with some pygmy cories, micro rasboras, or a pair/trio of smaller killies.

Thanks! As I have been reading, I'm beginning to lean toward a type of fish rather than the shrimp. I really don't want easy breeders, and I'm uncertain about live plants. It seems like the shrimp would much prefer to have live plants. I want whatever I decide on to be happy in their home. :)

Thank you for the other suggestions! I looked up some pictures of the other fish suggested and they are pretty. I especially like the galaxy microrasboras. I will read up on their care.

I think at the moment I'm leaning toward a small group of same-sex guppies, but I am still reading up and would love more suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom