Several question about guppy and platy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishshl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1. Can I put guppy and platy together?
I read one article from aquariumfish.net. That doesn't suggest to put those together.

2. And I know guppy and platy both will be raised as at least one male vs two female.
But should I buy same species for the one male and two female.

3. I am a new fishkeeper. It's hard for me to tell male and female platy. Is there any easy way? Can LFS employee pick right one for me?

Thanks.

1. Yes, it can be done tough swordtails would be a better choice
2. Platys will breed with any other type of platy, same as guppies
3. Gonopodium (aka Modified anal fin), appears to be sharper than the females.

HTH.

I have had guppies and platys together. They got along GREAT. Make sure to have 3 females to one male on both the guppies and platys.

Platys are WONDERFUL fish and make a great addition to any aquarium.

What is your tank size?

Good luck on your fish.

Male platies have a stick-like fin under their butts and females have a rounded fin that looks normal...lol

Thanks guys.

My tank is 20 G. It has been setup for 6 weeks. Currently, I have 6 neon tetra and one panda cory. The other cory died one week ago.

as far as telling males and female guppies apart, i believe the bigger brightly colored ones are... male? and the mono-tone smaller ones are female... never had guppies, this is just what i always thought, correct me if im wrong.

Male guppies have the stick fin thing (this goes for most/all live bearer species) and the males are more brightly colored and the females are usually dull brown with color on the tail(sometimes) and they have smaller tails @_@

1. Should be OK... mine always were.

2. 2 female guppies/male guppy and 2 female platies/male platy
(2 female platies / male guppy won't work)

3. male livebearers have gonopodiums, while females have rounded anal fins.

male platy:
RedPlaty3.jpg

female platy:
gold_wag_platy_w360.jpg

Keep in mind that while having one male and 2-3 females is a good idea, you will soon have several fry that you can't sex. I have a guppy tank that started out with 5 guppies, now has 12 youth and adults and more fry than I can count. This is in 6 months. Platies can do the same. 8O

Yeah live bearers are basically breed-happy 24/7 fish and only a few week gestation depending on the species... you have lots of babies

Back
Top Bottom