Sexing Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Lately I've been having breeding problems with my mollies. Mainly my male hasn't been pulling his own weight. So I added a new Molly to add some competition for him. But strangely this one is hard to distinguish gender wise. It carries its anal fin like a male and has a male body type but I've seen it spread its anal fin like a females already as well. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437940980.024515.jpg

Keep calm and drum on

top male and botton female,if you look closely to the anal fin the male is elongated and tubular in shape and the female is fan shaped..hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know how to sex them but this one has a long slightly rounded anal fin. It's not like my other females or like my male.

Keep calm and drum on

can you get a better picture,because from that picture is hard to tell..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Placement on the body wise it looks female to me. See how on the male the gonopodium is further up but on the female it is towards the tail fin a bit more, I say a female clamping the fin.

I caught it and put in closer to the front and it looks like a female. On the plus side when I turned the light on to try to get a pic I noticed my male Molly trying to mate for the first time in about 3 months.

Keep calm and drum on

That molly looks really pale when it should be bright yellow? You say spread it's fin like females, my female mollies never flex or spread they're fins, my male does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree-it's almost positively a female. Some female mollies aren't as likely to spread their fins, as irdajoh says. I think this may be the more shy, timid fish, as mollies seem to spread the fins when more relaxed. I also think that molly looks very, very pale, unless it's a color I haven't often seen before.

Back
Top Bottom