Shipping cost........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I had the urge just to see how much shipping would cost to get a 300G wide tank, stand, and hood from glasscages.com. I gave them the details of what I wanted, and they replied with a quote. It would cost $770.00 to get it to the Yakima, WA. terminal, and from there, I would have to go down to pick it up and bring it back myself, which is a 2hr drive, lol. Spendyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!, LOL. I'd probably spend less money renting a truck and traveling to one of their shows to pick it up, lol. The closest show on their schedule to me is Los Angeles, CA. LOL.....

I work with industrial equipment, which gets very heavy and we are always trucking stuff around. That shipment cost seems about right, especially since it's fragile. Also, the terminal dropoff is standard as they won't deliver to locations without a truck dock. Sucks, huh? Even with my connections through work, I still can't get ahold of some of the stuff I want for the price I want.

There must be some sort of Aquaria Mafia out there that can hook me up. Of course, then they will want 10% of my fry. Then it will be 25%. Before you know it, I'll be giving them all my fry. You know what happens if you don't, right? They don't let you sleep with the fishes.

I still can't figure out why they can't ship it here, lol. I told them they would send it to where I work, which we have a dock, because we unload furniture from 53' trucks and all, lol.

Lonewolfblue said:
I still can't figure out why they can't ship it here, lol. I told them they would send it to where I work, which we have a dock, because we unload furniture from 53' trucks and all, lol.

Oh, that's strange. We actually don't even have a dock, but we have a forklift and that's good enough for most trucking companies. Will they allow you to select your trucking company instead of using their trucking company?

theotheragentm said:
Lonewolfblue said:

Oh, that's strange. We actually don't even have a dock, but we have a forklift and that's good enough for most trucking companies. Will they allow you to select your trucking company instead of using their trucking company?

I'm sure they would for a cost. I am sure they have a contract with pre determined prices to certain regions with a common carrier. If he were to go with someone else the shipping cost may go up substantially.

-Pleco

Yeah, the will most definitely get better rates with their trucking company or companies they work with, but if your company does a lot of shipping and will allow you to use an account number, it's possible to get an even better deal. Just a suggestion. Maybe you can convince someone else down here in LA to take a Spring Break road trip with a huge fish tank in the back of their truck.

Actually, I'd probably get a big truck and go down there myself and take a nice vacation, then pick it up and bring it home, lol. Probably would be much cheaper. lol. Or I could have Pleco buy it and bring it up and set it up at my house, LOL... hehe...

Lonewolfblue said:
Actually, I'd probably get a big truck and go down there myself and take a nice vacation, then pick it up and bring it home, lol. Probably would be much cheaper. lol. Or I could have Pleco buy it and bring it up and set it up at my house, LOL... hehe...

I have this sneaky suspicion that even with the bigger design of the new 3 series that this wont fit in my car at all :D

The lowest-cost alternative would be to build a large tank yourself. With only a single sheet of glass in the front, and the rest made from plywood. I've considered it, but don't have the space in my current house to build the tank I really want. Maybe in a few more years when I have a bigger house, though by then the (planned) children will most likley soak up the cash required...

Back
Top Bottom