Should I start a snail pop in my DP tank?? I'm am afraid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helicopter

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should I start a snail pop in my DP tank?? I'm am afraid from all of these snail infestation stories on this forum. I currently am culturing snails in another small tank and then just throw them in one or two at a time, sometimes I crush their shells so that my DP can get all of the snail out. I am just worried if I put too many then they will hide from and start making babies and start the process of infestation.

Should I just do it on purpose, start a population in his tank?

If one day I change my mind and don't like having the snails in the tank, is there an easy way to get rid of them? It's a 6 gallon eclipse so it probably wouldn't be that hard to take out all the plants and stuff and wash them if need be.

I think you'd be fine. :) The DP will eat the snails, so it will naturally help control the population. I also think that they can be kept under control with more frequent water changes too. Most snails mass populate with a high nutrient level in their water.

heli, you can put snails in the DP tank to breed, but i would avoid that purely because youre going to be leaving them a constant supply of food. i prefer to regulate what my fish eat. I would stick with what you do now: breed snails in a separate unit and then take some out for the DPs at feeding time.
I tried breeding snails within my puffer tank and it failed miserably so i speak from experience! I stick with the small plastic bucket I used to use and breed them separately.

First off DO NOT put MTSs in the DP tank. the DP will not be able to eat them, and they will grow unchecked...at least he wont break his jaw like larger puffs (DPs are suckers, not crunchers, crunchers break their jaws tryin to crush a MTS shell)

Pond snails are ideal. But havinga snail population in a puffer tank is almost impossible. I found my DPs would simply kill every snail they saw, and if they where full, wouldnt even eat it.

No one's gonna tell us what a "DP" is???? I don't know either...

What's so special about DPs that so many folks design a whole tank around them?

They are cute! But they are very aggressive so they are usually kept in a species only tank.

Back
Top Bottom