Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't believe when I ordered a couple for $5 ea. and they came the size of grapefruits. Awesome deal.

You so crazy..I keep moss balls in all my shrimp tanks..shrimp love marimo (y)

Huh, because I have a couple small ones in with my shrimp and I never see them any where near them. I put the 2 "starter" moss balls in so they could grow, as I'm sure my big Moor would swallow them whole if they were in his tank lol.

Good to know, thanks Siva!

Hmm are they ghosts? I never see my ghosts go near them but my RCS, BPS, & CRS are all over them all the time.

Thanks for the info everyone! Now in terms of breeding, how do I keep it from happening? I don't want a million tiny shrimp, that would be my worst nightmare.

Hmm..RCS breed like crazy so I wouldn't go with them. You can't really stop it, short of finding a breed you know for sure won't reproduce in freshwater. Many ghost shrimp are like that, but it's unlikely you could determine that before purchase. The ghost shrimp I purchase at my lfs do not reproduce, however.

siva said:
Hmm..RCS breed like crazy so I wouldn't go with them. You can't really stop it, short of finding a breed you know for sure won't reproduce in freshwater. Many ghost shrimp are like that, but it's unlikely you could determine that before purchase. The ghost shrimp I purchase at my lfs do not reproduce, however.

The OP is trying to get over a fear of inverts, ghosties are the last shrimp I'd recommend. RCS are the best choice IMO.

Right, I understand they don't want ghosts..they did say that. They also don't want a bunch of babies..which is why RCS are the last shrimp I'd recommend ;)

siva said:
Right, I understand they don't want ghosts..they did say that. They also don't want a bunch of babies..which is why RCS are the last shrimp I'd recommend ;)

I was going by the first concern, fear. I've had RCS for a month and haven't seen any babies/eggs/nothing. How often do the mate, gestation period, etc.? If it's more than a month, then I better get more, because I need them breeding and soon for my GSP diet soon enough lol.

Gestation is about a month. When you get the shrimp they are often young..takes until they are about 4-6 months old before they are sexually mature. In a community tank of course most of the babies get picked off.

If there are any non pleco/ non cory type fish in the tank then chances are you won't see many shrimplets.

I mentioned ghost shrimp because they are readily available, found in nearly any LFS, cherry shrimp are not as easily attainable though. Plus with ghost shrimp you can see how it goes for a buck or two, rather than spending 20 bucks or whatever for some RCS or other shrimp.

Either way, both are good choices, and there are many others if you find that you really enjoy shrimp keeping.

Back
Top Bottom