shrimp to clean pleco eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkeeper90

Aquarium Advice Freak
so someone said that they use blue velvet shrimp to clean off fungused pleco eggs that have been kicked ... we are having trouble finding some are there any other shrimp that we could use to clean our eggs of fungus

so someone said that they use blue velvet shrimp to clean off fungused pleco eggs that have been kicked ... we are having trouble finding some are there any other shrimp that we could use to clean our eggs of fungus
Way back in the old days, we just added methylene blue to prevent fungus. There are specific safe medications that are available specifically for fish egg fungus. I do know for sure that ghost shrimp will eat the eggs.

Way back in the old days, we just added methylene blue to prevent fungus. There are specific safe medications that are available specifically for fish egg fungus. I do know for sure that ghost shrimp will eat the eggs.
im aware of methylene blue ... but as it says it will turn water blue my partner dont want to use it as he dont want the water to go blue

im aware of methylene blue ... but as it says it will turn water blue my partner dont want to use it as he dont want the water to go blue
Once the eggs have hatched and the fry become free swimming, the blue color can be gotten rid of by partial water changes over a short period of time, and you'll have baby Plecos to enjoy. But, there are treatments available that won't color the water. I've used them before but it's been over 20 years. Let me do some research and try to remember the name of the product and I'll get back to you.

Once the eggs have hatched and the fry become free swimming, the blue color can be gotten rid of by partial water changes over a short period of time, and you'll have baby Plecos to enjoy. But, there are treatments available that won't color the water. I've used them before but it's been over 20 years. Let me do some research and try to remember the name of the product and I'll get back to you.
There is a product by the Tetra company called Tetra Guard for fungi prevention and cure. It comes in a fuzzing tablet form and is very safe with no blue water.

I read about this as well. Neocaridina (such as cherry shrimp) ignoring the healthy eggs and eating the fungus covered eggs.

Fresh2o replied to you about using cherry shrimp. I'm not that familiar with them, but they may work out great. But in case you can't find them, don't be afraid of using safe products that are safe and don't turn your water blue. I'm using PraziPro right now in my tank to treat for parasites. I'm a 30 year veteran to the aquarium hobby, but I'm also a retired Chemist. Everything that exists is a chemical to start with. Sometimes a treatment is necessary and I would not recommend anything that would harm your fish, eggs, or your biological filtration.

well they hatched/hatching now but will know if theres a next time hopefully not

Nice to know that you have some new friends in the tank. Congratulations and good luck.
some still to hatch but about half have hatched and moved to another fry net as some were dying off in with the eggs some had a bit mould on but been trying to pick them bits off without damaging the rest is hard so as soon as we see wigglers will keep moving them over ... long process hope its worth it now

some still to hatch but about half have hatched and moved to another fry net as some were dying off in with the eggs some had a bit mould on but been trying to pick them bits off without damaging the rest is hard so as soon as we see wigglers will keep moving them over ... long process hope its worth it now
I don't purposely breed fish any longer, but in the past, I found a metal dental pick useful for removing unfertilized and fungal infected eggs.

I don't purposely breed fish any longer, but in the past, I found a metal dental pick useful for removing unfertilized and fungal infected eggs.
we using tweezers lol well thats what we had at the time but as they hatching wont be much longer

we using tweezers lol well thats what we had at the time but as they hatching wont be much longer
That's fine...perhaps a little more difficult. I have a friend that is breeding commercially and says she has good success sucking them off with an eye dropper.

That's fine...perhaps a little more difficult. I have a friend that is breeding commercially and says she has good success sucking them off with an eye dropper.
yeah if it happens again will have to find something easier hopefully all will be fine from now on fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom