Shrimp with Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone!

Here's my question for the next week or two: Have any of you ever kept RCS or CRS in your community tank successfully? I tried about a year ago but my Gold Barbs tore them to nothing. I just got rid of them to an LFS yesterday, and I'd like to try again, but I'm worried I'm going to waste money all over again.

I have a 55g Planted, though my plants are all dead from not having time for my tank up until now, so before I try this again, I will be Heavily planting my aquarium again.

My stock list is currently: Boes. Rainbows, RTBS, Betta and Neons.

They are all highly peaceful towards eachother, and now that the Gold Barbs are gone, the fish have perked up overnight. So I'm wondering if when there is alot of vegetation and hiding places and no aggressive fish, will I be able to keep some decorative shrimp with Success?

Thanks!

I suggest trying it out with ghost shrimp or something a bit cheaper. Honestly, I doubt it will work out because rts and bettas often are shrimp killers. Its likely IMO that the only shrimp that do survive will be hidden all the time so you never seen them anyway. Some people have luck with rcs in heavily planted communities though, but it doesn't seem all that common if the fish are big enough to eat the shrimp, and all your fish are definitely big enough.

The betta WILL eat any baby shrimp and try to get at the larger ones. I had one that discovered how much he loved the taste of baby shrimp, then he pestered the larger ones to death. I did manage to keep some ghost shrimp with my guppies and other tropicals as long as the tank was heavily planted, but the babies disappeared almost immediately.

Remember, anything that fits in a fishes mouth... well, fits.

I suggest trying it out with ghost shrimp or something a bit cheaper. Honestly, I doubt it will work out because rts and bettas often are shrimp killers. Its likely IMO that the only shrimp that do survive will be hidden all the time so you never seen them anyway. Some people have luck with rcs in heavily planted communities though, but it doesn't seem all that common if the fish are big enough to eat the shrimp, and all your fish are definitely big enough.

Yeah, that makes sense, I'll definitely give it a try with a couple RCS since they go for a buck around here, CRS are like 5 a piece or more so I won't do that. We'll see though! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom