Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delfino

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well im interested in shrimps and was wondering if people could give me some info on keeping them.possibly someone that might have them to sell or trade.thanks!:)

Most shrimp need pristine water quality, plenty of hiding places, and no tank mates that will eat them. For small shrimp, like RCS, a 5g tank is plenty of real estate for a large colony.

I have red cherry shrimp in a heavily planted 20L with guppies and panda corys. It's hard to gauge how many shrimp I actually have, but I do see little ones every now and then, so I assume they're breeding. RCS are relatively cheap and hardy for shrimp. Try Craigslist. That's where I got mine from.

RCS are really cool... one thing i'd recommend before getting any is to test your tap water for copper. Apparently i have copper either in my tap or copper lines somewhere between the sink and the treatment plant. I cant keep shrimp unless i get an ro/di unit (im assuming they remove copper at least)

mfd is right about the copper, but copper pipes shouldn't be a problem. The majority of plumbing in Chicagoland is copper and I've never had a problem. The water doesn't remove any copper from the pipe.

I have to wonder where mine is coming from then... i tested it, cant remember the reading, but it was significant, not just trace amounts. surely they dont add that in at the treatment plant?

Well im interested in shrimps and was wondering if people could give me some info on keeping them.possibly someone that might have them to sell or trade.thanks!:)
what shrimp are you looking to get? is your water hard water or soft water? pm me i can point you in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom