Silly Idea for a Themed Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,

Was wondering if someone has tried anything like this;

Take some big alcohol bottles (the one that inspired this idea was Kraken). Cut the bottle so that it's basically a big open topped cylinder. Leave the label on.

Seal the outside surface with some kind of aquarium-safe clear epoxy resin so you can preserve the awesome label. Then use these big open jars (preferably with nautical or fish-themed labels) to pot plants in the aquarium! Like lining the back of the tank with ones of varying height, shorter as they get closer to the front. The whole tank wouldn't be filled with them, just the back wall and maybe 8-10" out from it (this would need a 18" deep tank at least to look right I think). The substrate outside of the jars would preferably be a white beachy looking sand.

I suppose if you wanted, you could even take the tops of the jars you cut off and stick them in the sand like little pillars! I don't know about having this as a home aquarium, but it might be cool to have in a bar or something, lol.

Anyways, just thought I'd share in case it inspired someone, or there was someone who had tried something similar with a wacky themed tank ;)

Sounds like a cool idea. I would recommend having the glass edges rounded to avoid any fish or hand injury.

I would do a couple bottles whole with the bottom removed and an air stone in there. Maybe use champagne bottles for that.

If you use a sump system you can have the return flow be above the tank so it looks like a bottle is pouring out into the tank as well.

sounds like a cool idea. i really like the idea of the return pump, looking like its a bottle pouring in the tank. i just told my girlfriend and she said "you have to do that!" lol. krylon fusion clear coat will make just about anything, aquarium safe

Haha, great ideas!

Maybe I'll try to do something like a 20 or 29 with smallish bottles and some minis - would be a great side project for when the next dollar per gallon sale at Petco hits.

What kind of fish would you guys stick in a tank like this? If it were a big enough one, I think I might go with some very ornamental stuff like a few different colored Orandas, or a large school of something small and flashy.

Haha, great ideas!

Maybe I'll try to do something like a 20 or 29 with smallish bottles and some minis - would be a great side project for when the next dollar per gallon sale at Petco hits.

What kind of fish would you guys stick in a tank like this? If it were a big enough one, I think I might go with some very ornamental stuff like a few different colored Orandas, or a large school of something small and flashy.

I would contact some local bars. One owner or manager may like this idea. Every bar has the bottles of beer they offer lined up on a shelf somewhere. Have all the beer bottles staggered with some rock and fake plants with a school of neons. Its simple cheap and the bar will be paying for your build.

Back
Top Bottom