single pictus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i understand that pictuses generally do better in groups. but i'm sure i keep seeing singles in peoples signatures.

who here keeps a single pictus? do you see him during the day, or does he just hide all the time?

I don't keep a single pictus cat but they do hide during the day. I have had pictus cats and currently keep cuckoo cats and they hide during the day most of the time too.

I wouldn't consider 2 as a group. Maybe someone with a few more could comment on their behavior? Also, I have read that the more hiding places you give, the more you'll see them out because they feel that there is a safe haven nearby.

*edited because I can't type :oops: *

I have 3 cuckoos and they hide most of the time. They come out to play when they feel frisky I guess. LOL, there are tons of hiding spots in the tank, some days they come out more than others.

I have 3 and I think they will hide as long as they have places to do so. They don't seem to like bright light. At the store they didn't have anything to hide in, so obviously they were out in the open. I think that they like to be in groups when younger but seem to drift apart and create territories as they get older.
I am a bit curious to know what would happen if someone got more than 7 for their tank but didn't have enough hiding places for all of them to have their own territories. Like if they would stick together or some would get the spots and what the others would do. Just a thought. :?

everything i've read says that the more you have, the more you see them. i was planning on getting 4, and hoping that would create more of a group dynamic than 2 or 3, which still quite easily has a top and bottom fish.

i'd like to try a single, and see how he behaves, maybe add more later, but i've also heard it's difficult to do this as territory is already established then.

why do i feel like i'm walking into a brick wall here? :lol:

I use to have 3 of them, then came home one day and one was dead. One of those unexplained illnesses.

Mine now are very territorial. They have their own lil spot in a log, and then don't let anyone else in. Give it a try. IMO, they will still hide though, no matter the number.

I must have 'strange' pictus cats--mine have never hide. I have 2 that are 2-yrs old. The only fish that hide 'big time' are the striped & spotted raphaels. The raphaels get very 'hyper' when you move their hiding place

Back
Top Bottom