Smelly Aquarium Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelv85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone help, my aquarium stinks, I've done water changes and followed all other info correctly, could it be my filters? My clown loach has white spot which is being treated, but the smell is awful at the moment, any help appreciated and no my tank is not over populated

People are always skeptical when I post this, but if your tank is TRULY not overpopulated, try an EcoBio stone. If your tank IS overpopulated, you will just end up spending alot of money on an aquarium decoration.

It's a rock that (somehow) benefits the bacterial cycle and increases water clarity. I have used them since they came out and they work very well, though they have gotten rather expensive. They tend to last around 3 years, depending on the conditions of your tank.

I've said this numerous times... none of my FW tanks ever smelled at all. I always did 50% PWC's weekly and that's pretty much it. Never ran carbon or any of that kind of stuff. How often are you doing PWC's, and how much? IME, a healthy tank does not smell.

Freshie In Disguise said:
People are always skeptical when I post this, but if your tank is TRULY not overpopulated, try an EcoBio stone. If your tank IS overpopulated, you will just end up spending alot of money on an aquarium decoration.

It's a rock that (somehow) benefits the bacterial cycle and increases water clarity. I have used them since they came out and they work very well, though they have gotten rather expensive. They tend to last around 3 years, depending on the conditions of your tank.

All an "ecobio stone" is is another surface for the beneficial bacteria that break down ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrate. It obviously helps the water quality, if it allows that bacteria to live on it. I agree with mfdrookie516, your tank shouldn't smell. If you do proper maintenance and cycled it correctly, I don't see how it could smell.

What medication are you putting in there? I used a medication once that turned my water brown, gave it a slick foam at the top, and gave it a nasty odor.

It may be that you are you putting too much food in the aquarium, which is decomposing and causing the smell. This happened to me, and all I had to do was not put so much food in the tank at one time. Now my tank doesn't small bad at all!

whats in the tank and how big is it?

+1
I have to second Allexx's questions as well- what is your stock, how big is the tank and how big (%) & how often are your water changes? How do your parameters for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate look? Overstocking, overfeeding & inadequate water changes can all contribute to smelliness. Some more information will help us to figure out whats going on. :)

I have 10 tropical fish in a 160ltr tank, 6 of which are tetras I was feeding twice a day but changed to once a few days ago, I do 3 20% water changes per week

Back
Top Bottom