Smoking near tanks and air pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neuve

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it okay if I smoke around my tanks?
Does anyone do or avoid doing this?
Are there any myths about that?

I know many people who are your typical chain smokers who smoke in the same room as their tanks. IMO there are no negitive side effects to this.

Now I dont think they acutally work on their tank with cig's in their hands or mouth.

*looks embarassed*

Erm yeah, I smoke. My tanks are in my living room and I don't avoid smoking in there. I do try to keep the room well ventilated (for the non-smoking hubby as well as for the fish LOL) and I haven't seen any negative effects to anyone except myself.

And no, I don't have a ciggie hanging out of my mouth when I'm working on the tanks; I hate getting smoke in my eyes ;)

Lol me 2
Hey allivmar would you mind checkin my other posts plz?
Thx

I have been smoking for 28yrs and i have been keeping fish for about the same time, give or take a year or two for breaks.
Things are drawn into the water through the air and through your air pump etc. they say that you should never use polishes or air freasheners etc. near your aquariums because of the chemicals being dragged in to the water and i agree with this. As for smoking, the smoke can be dragged into the water as well but to be honest i have never really thought about it. maybe there is somebody that can answer that one. just hope it does'nt start a no-smoking campain hahahahaha, i don't think i could give up now.

I would say no, smoke doesn't affect the aquarium. Just keep an eye on your fish, if they still look hungry after you feed them, they are probably having a nic fit :lol:. But seriously, like Terry said the only thing you have to be careful with is anything that has poisonous fumes like paint thinner, stain, or paint. The best thing to do when using these substances is to cover your tank with plastic and turn off any air pumps. Will it kill your fish if you don't? Probably not, but better safe than sorry.

HTH!

Cool. Ill keep it in mind. Im planning on quitting tho, lol. I signed up for alpinism and trainings start on september 21st and they say it requires a lot, A LOT! of physicall fitness so...
Ill smoke now and quit while ill train. Thats the plan!.
Ok then thank you all for your posts. You really helped.
Pato

Back
Top Bottom