Snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tan-tay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to get some snAils for my fish tank, but my brother in law told me not to because the snails reproduce to much and to fast and the tank could be taken over by snails

Very true for malaysian trumpet snails, pond snails and ramshorn snails. You can start out with one and have hundreds shortly. You have to be extremely careful with not overfeeding.

Depending on what you want for stock you can get mystery snails or an apple snail.

Well i have a crayfish in a 45g hes not very big do you think he would keep the snail population down or could i have fish that will do that

Nerite snails don't reproduce in fresh water so that's an option. You could also get apple/mystery snails. If they do breed you can remove the egg clutches (they are above the water line) and freeze them to kill the eggs.
If you don't over feed our tank any snail would work. The more food available the more snails you'll have.

I suspect the crayfish is likely, especially as it gets bigger, to eat any snail you put in the tank: the fast breeders like Pond (Physa acuta), and ramshorn; as well as the slow to non-breeders like Apples, Mystery, and Nerites. But I know very little about crayfish, so maybe someone more knowledgable can comment on the possibility of the crayfish eating snails.

Back
Top Bottom