Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanlr88

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been considering adding snails to my aquarium. I have jewel cichlids and syno catfish. In my short researching I've just heard stories about snails breeding like crazy, especially Malaysian Trumpet snails. Then I've read about using Assassin snails to keep the MT population down. Basically I don't want to get into some whole big thing with snails. Its a fish aquarium and I don't want snails to become my biggest concern, just think it would be cool to have a couple in there too. Anyone have any advice? Maybe there is a type I should get that doesn't breed like crazy and would also be fairly safe from my jewels? I just don't want my tank to be taken over by snails. I could easily just not get any snails, so feel free to recommend that if you think its best. Thanks

Nerite snails need salt water to breed so you can get them and they won't increase in numbers but you may see white spots around the tank where they lay eggs.

I like snails and have tanks with sand substrate so I like to have the sand churned by the MTS.

Many cichlids will consume snails, they might not even be a good choice for your tank.

Back
Top Bottom