Snails.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JZK

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 16 gallon partially planted tank that has recently had a few snails hitchhike in on one of the plants... they were tiny but are definitely getting bigger. One is already almost the size of my Nerite snail.

How quickly do pond snails breed is the question and what other problems might they pose? I am flirting with introducing a loach or two to handle the problem, but hubby likes snails (the Nerite would find a new home in the Betta tank if loaches were introduced), so I am waiting for a bit, although he said we could just pluck them out too (then what??).

I have two Otos in the tank and do not want them to starve on account of these other guys. Right now,they all seem to be fine, the snails are not doing anything but eating dead/dying plant matter (a plus), getting bigger, and cruising around.

Snails aren't really a problem unless you hate the look of them. However if you wish to fully remove them from your tank it can be very difficult.

I suggest just managing the population.

1) Don't over feed. If there's snails everywhere you're over feeding.
2) Drop in some blanched vegetables (zucchini, squash work good). Your Otto will love it and in the morning it will have snails on it. Simply remove it and discard or feed it to someone that will eat small snails ( I put mine in a goldfish/loach tank).

You can also set up a "trap" for them. Just take a water bottle, cut the top off and shove it in the bottom. It basically works like a crab trap. I'm not a huge fan of this, I've tried it a couple of times and found some of my fish in it in the morning.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

I agree with what was said above; snails aren't necessarily a problem if the population is kept under control. If you really want them gone, get 5 or so assassin snails. They will completely destroy the snails.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree with what was said above; snails aren't necessarily a problem if the population is kept under control. If you really want them gone, get 5 or so assassin snails. They will completely destroy the snails.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

From first hand experience, this was pretty epic to watch. Assassin snails are badass!

The only bad thing about blanched veggies is it clouds the water so you'll have to do a water change to clear it up not much just like 10% or wait for your filter to clear it, lettuce works great too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom