Snails for algae control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nortzy21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I'm looking to add some snails to my 20 gallon planted aquarium. In there I currently have a thriving fern and floating weed of some sort as well as some guppies that are breeding like crazy. I'm using tap water though so the algae is getting a bit out of control and I'd like to add some snails or such to naturally control the problem. I am well aware though that snails reproduce like crazy and could explode in numbers in my peaceful 20 gallon planted tank. I barely know anything about snails so please give me some advice on what snails to add and how many to control the algae. Should I even look into adding some cherry shrimp or some small fish? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First question:

How long are your lights on everyday?

Though snails will eat algae, don't expect to see much improvement overnight. It would take a lot of snails for you to see a noticeable difference.

Caleb

Hi all,

I'm looking to add some snails to my 20 gallon planted aquarium. In there I currently have a thriving fern and floating weed of some sort as well as some guppies that are breeding like crazy. I'm using tap water though so the algae is getting a bit out of control and I'd like to add some snails or such to naturally control the problem. I am well aware though that snails reproduce like crazy and could explode in numbers in my peaceful 20 gallon planted tank. I barely know anything about snails so please give me some advice on what snails to add and how many to control the algae. Should I even look into adding some cherry shrimp or some small fish? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Sam

Nerite snails will deal with the algae quite quickly. You only need a couple in a 20. They won't reproduce either. They will lay eggs but I believe they need brackish water to hatch.

First question:

How long are your lights on everyday?

Though snails will eat algae, don't expect to see much improvement overnight. It would take a lot of snails for you to see a noticeable difference.

Caleb

My lights are on from 10am to 8pm so that's 10 hours. Should I just reduce my photoperiod

My lights are on from 10am to 8pm so that's 10 hours. Should I just reduce my photoperiod

Yes I would, 8 hours max though 6 hours may benefit you more to help get algae under control.

Caleb

Nerite snails won't reproduce in freshwater. They love alqea and also mine love zucchini squash. They are easy and long lived. Mine have laid eggs on the driftwood, they look like small white sesame seeds. eventually they go away and my cory cats seem to like them after they have been there for 6 months or so. I have one tracked and 3 zebra nerites and highly recommend them. Alison

Back
Top Bottom