Snails in HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night as I was almost asleep my HOB filter (tetra whisper 40) made a noise like a pebble hitting the impeller and scared the bejesus out of me. I suspected it might've been one of my nerite snails where he didn't belong, and sure enough, today when I investigated I found a shell (no innards left) wedged next to the impeller. Two other nerites were also in the filter, though both were on the spout, not in any immediate danger. I dropped them back in the tank though just to be safe.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping them out of the filter? I'm down to three (I assume, I haven't seen my last little horned guy in a few weeks) and I would like to keep them alive!

All hang on back filters should come with a strainer basket to keep big things out. Didn't yours have one?

They're not getting in through the intake if that's what you mean. The intake pipe does have a screen type thing at the end of the intake pipe. They climb up the pipe, up the glass and onto the spout back into the tank. There's a cover on the filter but there's still plenty of room for them to climb over the internal components into the impeller chamber. There's easily an inch or more between the cover and the top of most of the components. One of the two that I returned to the tank today was just to the left of the intake pipe and the other was in the stream of water returning to the tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391045911.426337.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391045927.746917.jpg

KTpoopenstein, I joined today looking for help for this exact situation. I apologize for "piggybacking" on your thread; but you have already explained exactly what I was going to write. I'm having to check my hob filter every day, usually extracting 1-3 wayward nerites. And the sudden rattling/grating sounds when they get near the impeller are truly disturbing. I'm not only frightened and worried for them... it's getting tedious.

Anyone have ideas or a solution?

Oddly enough, since I posted this all of mine have stayed where they belong!

It took me a couple of days to figure out what that noise was in the filter! They always seemed to do it in the middle of the night when I wasn't thinking clearly enough to figure it out! I've never found my missing little horned guy so I suspect he didn't survive a trip through the impeller and got pulverized. :-/

Hmmm... I hope mine get the same memo yours apparently did.

I haven't been able to think of any good solution besides just looking in there every day, usually several times a day when I pass by and think about it, and hand picking them out.

Some kind of physical barrier or fence? Doesn't seem possible or practical, considering the setup (same as yours, which you described so well). What would a snail fence look like anyway?

Electric fence? :facepalm:
Snail shock collar? :eek:
Vaseline barrier? :blink:
Snail watch dog/s? Maybe some kind of catfish or loach that acted like a goat, butting and dislodging the snails who get too close to forbidden territory :lol:
Snail psychologist - behavioral modification therapy? :rolleyes:

Ok... these are ludicrous and made in jest. But I feel the need to laugh about it instead of getting too crazy in the search for a solution. ;-) But I thought there might be some simple approach I'm missing... short of getting rid of the nerites or changing the filter system.

Hmm well my only idea is to go to a craft store (like Joann's) and they have this stuff called plastic canvas. It is for sewing and the squares are big. You can cut it to fit any opening. Now I am not sure how you would attach it though... but it would provide a proper barrier.

Thanks for the idea... I never would have considered that material; but it would be easy to cut to fit. Yes, the attaching requires some thought. But at least this gives me an idea of where to start if I do try to make a physical barrier. Thanks!

Well I know super glue gel is fish safe so maybe that would work.

I would worry about attaching it with something permanent though, because you'll probably need to clean it off occasionally. I use this stuff at the top of my overflow box to keep plant bits and such from flowing into the filter, and it gets pretty gunky. I have to pull it off at least once a week and clean it off.

Hmmm I wonder if something like hot glue would work?? It's not very permanent so I think it could be popped off with minimal effort. But even that might be annoying. to constantly redo.

I am visualizing something like 100% silicone that doesn't cure - what comes to mind is these 100% silicone ear plugs by Mac's. You can get them at the drugstore/Target/etc. They are pure silicone and stay soft and squishy. BUT!!!!!! I have NO IDEA if this would be safe. It's just something I can think of that could be reused. It would really require more research though.

My filter looks exactly like yours and I have had a BN pleco get in my filter that way (he would go in and come right back out, making a mess of my tank), and I also lost a kuhli loach that way. So sad. I have thought about attaching some sort of screen to the outflow but because of cleaning reasons, have just resorted to keeping the water level lower.

Back
Top Bottom