Snails Lots of snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jobymoby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I awoke today to see a least 50 to 100 baby snails in my fresh water planted tank,should i or can i kill them or are they beneficial to my planted tank,than joby moby.

It depends on what kind of snails they are as some will eat plants while others won't. If you want to take care of them quickly I would recommend buying at least 2 yo-yo loaches that will eat them. What size tank do you have and what sort of fish are in there?

since when are pond snails not good for a planted tank? I have never had them eat any plants or anything, and only 1 of the 2 species of apple snails I have eat plants, unfotunately, that type is also my only male, so all my baby apple snails are plant eaters as well

Jarred Darque said:
since when are pond snails not good for a planted tank?

As BillD pointed out, there are several species of pond snails, 5 by my last count. For the most part, folks tend to get those that are herbivores and don't mind snacking on plants. IMO it's better to avoid them.

Jchillin said:
malaysian trumpets, ramshorns (sp planorbid) are great for planted tanks while ramshorns (sp marisa), pond and most apple snails are not.

actually i only know of the one mystery/apple snail that eats plants, and they're pretty rare. almost all mystery/apple snails are plant safe

Do mystery snails eat plants? i have 10 gal i'm turning into a planted tank and it houses two large mystery snails.

Pomacea bridgesii are the ones you usually find in the stores. They don't eat plants until they're dying/rotting. Pomacea canaliculata is the one that eats plants. It's bigger and rounder. Applesnail.net has good pictures to tell them apart.

sorry for hijakcing ur thread, but i have the same issue,
except all my snails went into the filter, i see none in the tank but tones of them in the filter, whats going on? they dont like the tank or my water?

The filter media traps all sorts of debris that the snails like to eat and makes a good breeding place.

I have lots of ramshorn, "pond snails" and others in my heavily planted tanks. The only plants I ever see them eat are dead ones. They are often on the leaves, but generally eating algae. The only damage I see on plants in my tanks is from out of balance fertilizers.

Back
Top Bottom