Snails/shrimp with Cardinal Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TotallyCoral

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I've been constantly thinking about adding some sort of cleanup crew to my 6g fluval edge. It's currently stocked with 3 cardinal tetras. I was hoping for some RCS or maybe a nerite snail but aren't exactly sure. I've read that cardinal tetras sometimes eat RCS and that snails usually require harder water than what the cardinals are used to. So my question is: Would RCS or any type of shrimp or snail be compatible with the scenario explained above? Thank you very much in advance!

A larger shrimp might work, but that tank really doesn't offer many hiding places. It's a bit small even for the cardinal tetras. If you switch over to some nanos you'd have more options.

Hey all, I've been constantly thinking about adding some sort of cleanup crew to my 6g fluval edge. Likely not needed, but there are appropriate animals. It's currently stocked with 3 cardinal tetras. Cards are too big a fish for a 6G IMO. There are fish that will work, but they tend to be harder to find and pricier. I was hoping for some RCS or maybe a nerite snail but aren't exactly sure. An invert tank is a great idea and often overlooked approach for small tanks IMO. I've read that cardinal tetras sometimes eat RCS and that snails usually require harder water than what the cardinals are used to. Cards and like sized tetra will only eat juvies. With adequate cover and decor, a colony should at least maintain. Snails require available carbonates for shell building. You should not need to supplement it at all in a small tank with a conservative number of snails. (1 for a 6) So my question is: Would RCS or any type of shrimp or snail be compatible with the scenario explained above? Which scenario? Both shrimp or snails could be appropriate. Thank you very much in advance!

Random thoughts in blue.

Thanks guys. I'll probably move over my cardinals once I get my 46g bow front going. Once that happens I'll most likely turn the tank into a snail/shrimp aquarium.

I love them! They're doing just fine although they don't really do much... Probably because they need a much bigger swimming space than what the Edge has to offer. I can't wait to put them into my 46g!

Back
Top Bottom