Soapy filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco11771

Aquarium Advice Freak
So over the past summer a container Soap was knocked into my goldfish tank. My goldfish had more diseases than your average sewer rat at the time but it was still a sad loss. So I now have a hood for my crayfish tank or atleast a hood with a slot for an HOB filter. My only question is if it's safe to use the filter that had soap run through it. It's been rinsed over and over again through steaming hot water but I really dOnt want to lose my cray. Is there an thing else I can do to clean it?

Soak it in a bucket of bleach solution 1:10 overnight and then copious rinsing. It is likely ok already, but it might give you an extra peace of mind.

If I can maybe make another suggestion, to rather use some diluted vinegar to rinse it out and then rinse it thoroughly with water over and over until the ph turns to normal.

The reason being is since it was soap that the filter has been contaminated with the ph is already high. Bleach will just increase the ph even more. Vinegar has a low ph and will remove all the contaminated soap while neutralising the acid.

Ok also would boiling water work?

Can't see why it shouldn't.

The important thing is to get the water that flows through it to normal ph. So if your water's ph is 7, let it run through the spunge for about an hour or 2 and measure the ph again. If its still the same, you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom