Some sort of film on top of water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parrisgg

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-3036439286.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see the sort of colored film on top of the water, but it's there. It covers the water and I can break it apart with my fingers, it also seems to be inhibiting water flow from my filter. However, I have done a 50 percent water change everyday for 6 days and nothing has gotten better. Any ideas?

You need more water flow. Add 1 or 2 powerheads to help the water circulate.

What powerhead to you recommend for a 10g tank? Also how would I set up the powerhead to be an air pump as well?

Parrisgg said:
What powerhead to you recommend for a 10g tank? Also how would I set up the powerhead to be an air pump as well?

I'm not sure... sorry but I would just go to my lfs and get a small one.

Also something to consider would be Dr.Foster and Smiths new hob filter. It has a protein skimmer built right in and comes in all diffrent sizes. Reasonably priced as well.

Just picked up the aqua clear powerhead. I will probably pick up the dr. Fosters hob filter. But I thought skimmers were not needed for freshwater?

Protein skimmers are for saltwater use. Just a HOB filter that empties above the water line (don't fill tank so overflow is in the water) will break the protein layer up. Your tank does not have enough surface movement.

Cichlid Kid said:
Also something to consider would be Dr.Foster and Smiths new hob filter. It has a protein skimmer built right in and comes in all diffrent sizes. Reasonably priced as well.

The foster and Smyth HOB has an "oxy-skimmer", not a protein skimmer. Basically all it does is take water from the surface (as well as below the surface) and filter it. This would help with bio-film.

Parrisgg said:
Would the AC powerhead with the dr. Fosters hob be overkill?

I don't think that would help as much as a HOB filter or air stone. What kind of filter do you have right now?

I have the starter whisper filter for the 10g tank. Takes the medium cartridges. Perhaps get the dr. Fosters hob to help assist the AC powerhead as well. The whisper doesn't do much at all for moving the surface.

Parrisgg said:
I have the starter whisper filter for the 10g tank. Takes the medium cartridges. Perhaps get the dr. Fosters hob to help assist the AC powerhead as well. The whisper doesn't do much at all for moving the surface.

If you can, try raising the waterfall outflow above the water line so it splashes into the tank water. This will help with the film.

maxwellag said:
If you can, try raising the waterfall outflow above the water line so it splashes into the tank water. This will help with the film.

Would decreasing the water level be viable to get the splash?

Okay so I got the powerhead installed, it's a little big for my tank. However, my fish are adjusting to the bubbles. This does a very good job of surface movement.

image-2737200748.jpg

image-3764024685.jpg

For a 10 gallon you would need one or the other. Some people make DIY "surface skimmers". They skim the water surface which keeps you surface clear and allows for better gas exchange. Or if you have an HOB filter already, just lower you water level so water drops into the tank. You only need a bit of room between the water output and the water surface. This will accomplishes the same thing. You have never said what type of filter you have. A powerhead would have to be a nano or it would be too strong. I use a couple nano powerheads in my 220g just to gently move water in hard to reach places. So try the HOB filter first.

vanimal said:
Any better yet??

Yep, the powerhead flows nicely. I put it to the lowest possible setting for aeration and it works perfectly in my tank. I'm happy I got the bubbles because it seems like my fish were probably air deficient for around 2 weeks due to the film reducing surface movement.

Back
Top Bottom