South Amazonian Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesfoad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been cycling my 10g and I have started to look for fish to stock once I'm done cycling.the two main fish are either 2-3 dwarf puffers or 1 South American puffer. I have an ac 30 and am starting get some real plants. I am also starting a small snail colony, I would like your advice on which puffer and I would also like helpful tips. Thank you in advance

You weren't planning to start the snails in the puffer tank, were you? Puffers love to eat snails.

I have a 1 gallon and there are probably around six in it. And there are around six snails in the 10g too. I got then for free from my pet store as they were pests

I did a little research on the South American Puffer since I was not as familiar with it as I am Dwarf Puffers. It seems that they are the only puffer that can be kept in groups. However, they grow to 3 inches and the minimum tank size for one is 15 gallons. They are very active like most puffers and need room to explore and hunt. Here is a direct link to the South American Puffer care sheet.
The Puffer Forum • Colomesus asellus

There is a huge difference between 1 SAP vs 3-5 SAP. The more there is, the more of the natural behavior you see. IME 1 SAP seems very nervous and does not swim around as much. Not really fun.

Also these puffers are not that round compared to other puffers. Many people like the roundness of a puffers, but SAPs are more missile shaped.

Back
Top Bottom