Spilled water in the plugs.. oops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Last night i decided to clean out the filter in my aquarium, since it gets pretty clogged up with all the live plants and stuff, well i have everything plugged into a surger protector behind the tank, and as i was lifting the filter, some water sloshed down into the plugs. The surge protecter got busted, but everything else was fine. I did however trip a breaker.. oops... lol, anyway, i just had to reset all the plugs and everything is A OK. I did have to wake up my husband and roomate at 1:00 in the morning though, so they could reset their alarm clocks.

Has anybody else ever done this? I moved the new surge protecter/power strip, to the side of the aquarium, so if i spill again, there won't be a problem

I put the surge protector inside the bottom of the stand. That way if there is a spill, it will spill on the carpet, and not on the surge.

Water and electricity don't mix well under any conditions. I have...ummm...learned from this in the past as well.

I had just set up the tank when I decided to due the filter maintenance for the first time. I had forgotten about the level filler thingy on the back of the AquaClear...just yanked it up and water splashed down the back of the tank and into the power strip. I heard the sizzle and knew what was about to happen. I relocated the strip just as you have.

Live and learn... :D

yes this happened to me a little while ago. the lil thingy got really hot and i unplugged it. when i turned it over about a cup of water spilled out (co2 backsiphon) i sdwitched now. the other one still works but doesnt have surge protection

I forgot the hose filling up a tank afet a pwc. :oops: Opps the water spilled into the power board and tripped the breaker. I unplugged every thing turned the power back on and mopped up. All is well that ends well. Not something I'd like to repeat.

I once dropped a 2 foot flourescent fixture into a 15 gallon tank, and the light didn't evn go out, and the fish were not harmed. It was actually pretty amazing, now that I think about it. I let it dry overnight before I used it again, but it didn't even trip the breaker, and stayed lit while I located the plug and pulled it.

I have done it a few tiomes, and I am sure I will again before this decade is out. Never tripped a breaker or shorted anything, though.

i spilled a glass jar full of live brine onto the carpet and into my power strip once. it wasnt until later that i realized i shouldnt have used the vacuum cleaner in a panic because now we can smell burning brine shrimp everytime we use it but no one knows this but me :oops:

AshleyNicole said:
Last night i decided to clean out the filter in my aquarium, since it gets pretty clogged up with all the live plants and stuff, well i have everything plugged into a surger protector behind the tank, and as i was lifting the filter, some water sloshed down into the plugs. The surge protecter got busted, but everything else was fine. I did however trip a breaker.. oops... lol, anyway, i just had to reset all the plugs and everything is A OK. I did have to wake up my husband and roomate at 1:00 in the morning though, so they could reset their alarm clocks.

Has anybody else ever done this? I moved the new surge protecter/power strip, to the side of the aquarium, so if i spill again, there won't be a problem

I've done it before but I must have got lucky because nothing happened. I just unplugged everything, turned the protector over and shook out the water, and everything was goiod to go.

BillD said:
I once dropped a 2 foot flourescent fixture into a 15 gallon tank, and the light didn't evn go out, and the fish were not harmed. It was actually pretty amazing, now that I think about it. I let it dry overnight before I used it again, but it didn't even trip the breaker, and stayed lit while I located the plug and pulled it.

I had an indentical experience.

Joe

Toirtis said:
Felf said:
now we can smell burning brine shrimp everytime we use it but no one knows this but me :oops:

Pray that no-one else ever finds out....I would kill you...repeatedly. Ewww.

Thats way too much.. ROFL!!!

Felf.. you might look into replacing the power strip so you can quietly forget about it... 8) 8) 8)

well i didn't actually trip the breaker... you know how some plugs have the reset button on them? Thats what all of mine have, i guess its sort of a built in surge protector.. so i had to go hit the reset button on all the plugs that were on that circuit.

greenmagi said:
Toirtis said:
Felf said:
now we can smell burning brine shrimp everytime we use it but no one knows this but me :oops:

Pray that no-one else ever finds out....I would kill you...repeatedly. Ewww.

Thats way too much.. ROFL!!!

Felf.. you might look into replacing the power strip so you can quietly forget about it... 8) 8) 8)

Its the vacuum that needs replacing....a bit harder than a mere power strip. :lol:

ahh.. I missed that some how... :?
I would just break the vacuum apart and clean it real good.. they usually can use a good cleaning every once in while anyway..LOL
My GF doesnt say anything to me when I break out the tools and clean ours.. but I guess that might just be me.. I fix the things too.. Im cheeeep!!! 8O
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom