Starving plecos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jpb1216

Aquarium Advice Activist
About a week ago I got two plecos. They are maybe 2 inches long right now and they are the only algae/driftwood eating fish at the moment. I put it a blanched cucumber slice and it wasn't even touched by them. Or any other fish. Are they just that full on wood and algae?

I got some plecos too just a few days ago. It seemed I was having the same problem as you to begin with. Don't worry too much right now, they will be getting some food in their bellies. I tried the cucumber which failed miserably, but then I tried a blanched piece of courgette (zucchini). Left it in the tank overnight and they did eventually find it. When I removed it, it had bites taken out of the skin and edges. Try some algae wafers (though my other fish tend to go crazy for them and munch them before the plecs get them) and some plec pellets which will fall into your substrate for the plecs to find while they graze. Hope that helps a little.

It takes them a little while to find it. When I first started my BN pleco on zucchini they didn't touch it at first but they do eventually find it. I actually left the zucchini in my tank for a few days until my BN finally found it. Now mine goes to it in no time. Just have patience :)

Yeah screw cucumbers. Everyone I talk to uses zucchini.

I use cucumbers :p but once I put my drift wood in my pleco stated ignoring them and the small Malaysian snail population I have eat them.

It takes them a little while to find it. When I first started my BN pleco on zucchini they didn't touch it at first but they do eventually find it. I actually left the zucchini in my tank for a few days until my BN finally found it. Now mine goes to it in no time. Just have patience :)

I heard you should not leave zucchini in the tank more than 24 hours because it may cause the tank to smell.

I usually place my zucchini and algae wafer in my pleco's cave so that my cichlids do not find it.

Yeah I usually put it in at night when I get off work and then take it out before I leave for work.

I also have two very large prices of driftwood. Maybe they are just fat and full from it.

I heard you should not leave zucchini in the tank more than 24 hours because it may cause the tank to smell.

I usually place my zucchini and algae wafer in my pleco's cave so that my cichlids do not find it.

It didn't make mine smell. As soon as it ate it I took it out. I've tried cucumbers as we and they don't touch it either.

Put in some cucumber last night and not even a nibble so gonna switch to zucchini when I can.

My bristle and bulldog plec love blanched spinach and peas i hold it down with a vegi clip :)

Yup. Let me know how it goes. I've not tried the peas yet!

I had the same case here:)
I got them zucchini, cucumber, even strawberries and carrots, nothing worked
Until two days ago, I got algae wafers for them, and they loved it, won't stop eating them now, the first day, they wouldn't touch them, but when I woke up on the second day, they were fighting for the last piece! Very good quality, try it, your plecos would probably love it they are a rubber lip and a bristlenose, this is what I got them, any questions you have, feel free to ask!:)

Attachments

• image-1850538677.jpg
    image-1850538677.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 83
Mine like algae wafers with spirulina, shrimp pellets, frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp too:)

You take the shell off the pea right??

Yes you do. I feed peas and my pleco's didn't touch it, but my other fish loved it! I've read of people somewhat mashing a pea up and their cories love it!

I bought the same algae wafers that goldfish loach boy has and this morning when I woke up, 1 of them was devoured and the other was half gone... I just don't know if my plecos ate it or my corries did.

Back
Top Bottom