stingray substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What would be the best choice for my tank? Here is my current stock.
Rainbow Shark
Eclipse Catfish
Bristlenose Pleco
The fish I plan to add- 5 Silver Dollars

bettaowner said:
Ok so the fire eel is out. Would a tire track eel work? I really like the idea of a tame fish so knife fish or eel. What other fish are out there?

Tire track eels get huge also go with the peacock it will stay small

vanimal said:
What do you guys feed your eels or knife fish?? I have a 150 gallon tank and was thinking about getting one.

They LOVE NIGHT CRAWLERS I had a 2 ft or so tire track and thats all he would eat is night crawlers

Would a zig zag eel be a good option? I read that they grow up to 8 inches. I also want to have a group of tame oddballs.

well i feed my knife fish an assortment of frozen foods and live black worms live earth worms and live brine shrimp guppy fry and ghost shrimp so my eel goes for the live stuff but will eat the frozen

I think I'll get a peacock eel from Petsmart. So I should feed it frozen blood worms, night crawlers, and shrimp pellets?

vanimal said:
I think I'll get a peacock eel from Petsmart. So I should feed it frozen blood worms, night crawlers, and shrimp pellets?

Give it a wide range. I asked what they fed them at the store and used that(shrimp pellets) as the base diet.

Are peacock eels social? I really think zig zag eels would be a better option. I read that peacock eels grow to a foot but zig zag eels are 8 inches long.

They are super social... :) i think they probably reach around 8-9 inches full grown, very rarely do they reach a foot!

So what should I go with zig zag or peacock? I am leaning towards zig zag. Would a zebra spiny eel work? They aren't common but I'm being optomistic. I really would like to hear about fish other than knife fish and eels.

I kept a fire eel for about 8 years, got him at @ 7inches never had him eat anything other than earth worms he would however taste and spit out live foods, but when he would see the earthworm container come out of the fridge he would dance at the surface making slurping sounds and when given the worms would slurp them up like a child with spaghetti, a 55 gallon was fine for years and the eventual upgrade to a 90 was not necessary but didn't hurt. when these eels get used to you( and it doesn't take long) they'll do things like wrap themselves around your wrist while you rearange the tank, in every way a wonderful aquatic friend definitely more than just a fish

That sounds awesome!! If I can get mine to eat shrimp pellets ill feed those as the main diet and worms as a treat. Did you guys just get worms for fishing or what???

I've been wanting a fire eel for a bit just gotta get my 55 running and cycled first

Ideally, what I'm thinking now is to add an eel from the macrognathus family to my aquarium. They are smaller and more social.

vanimal said:
That sounds awesome!! If I can get mine to eat shrimp pellets ill feed those as the main diet and worms as a treat. Did you guys just get worms for fishing or what???

Walmart sporting goods had earthworms available year round so getting a supply was never a problem

I gave 1-2 earthworms a day occasionally skipping a day if they're not that hungry they'll just let the worm drift till they want it ad for where to find them, I see them pop up here and there pretty randomly last place I saw a decent amount of them was at "that fish place" but alot of what they had were larger specimens my personal recomendation is get them younger @ 6inches I think they'll warm up to you and "train" easier if you start off this size

i get mine at petsmart they call them red wigglers they come 45 to 55 in a small tub for about 4 bucks...there the perfect size max is give or take 3 inches long and smaller..keep mine in the fridge with the black worm that my eel love and his tank mates to(y)

Back
Top Bottom