Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrcoolt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have thought some more about my stocking my 29 gallon. This is what I may go with. Any concerns?

5 x Gold Tetra (Already Have)
1 x Bristlenose Pleco (Already Have)
Planning to Add:
5 x Neon Tetra
1 x Rainbow Shark

I added the rainbow shark because they are kind of loners, and I like they way they look. This would basically be my center piece fish unless someone can suggest something nicer.

I have plenty of filtration. I also have caves, and live plants.

Everythings good but the shark needs a bit larger tank. How about a pearl gourami instead

I dont know if I could go with Rams because my PH is high. No matter what I do it stays pretty steady at 7.6. I am going to finish my cycle before adding any more fish, but as its looking, I dont see my PH lowering at all. Thats the same reading I get from the tap water.

Want a show stopping centerpiece? Look no further than any Apistogramma species. I have a 29g set up right now stocked with 9 Corydoras Pygmaeus, 5 Rummynose Tetras, and awaiting an Apisto pair.

Another great choice are the Rams. They are readily available and have excellent coloration. Some may not look like much but they grow into it :)

Samzter said:
I love apistogramma agassizi fire reds.

All Apistos are beautiful. I'm looking into Agassizii Alenquer or Agassizii Tefe Pearl Blue. :D I'm very hopeful to find them.

But back to the OP. With the tank mates you have already chosen, you can find a proper centerpiece fish that will fit unlike the Shark. Let us know what you like!

So I just googled the Apistogramma's. That is a pretty cool looking fish! Will they play nice with everything else I have and want to stock (minus the shark of course)?

I have two favorites one is Apistogramma cacatuoides and the other is Apistogramma panduro or some call the Sky Blue Aspito. I like the later because the male and female look totally different, you look like you have two different species of Aspito. You could do an angelfish.

jrcoolt said:
So I just googled the Apistogramma's. That is a pretty cool looking fish! Will they play nice with everything else I have and want to stock (minus the shark of course)?

They play very nice...until they try to breed. They will be testy but won't injury anybody.

Rivercats brings up a good point! You can do a singular Angelfish. Although, in the long run I wouldn't get that second school of Neons. It may be a bit cramped when the Angels grows up.

I might go with something like this:

5 x Gold Tetra
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
5 x Neon Tetra
2 x Cockatoo Apisto (Apistogramma cacatuoides)

I am just afraid the neons will get eaten.

You ever consider getting cardinals instead of neons? I used to always get cardinals and prefered them as they were bigger and for me every bit as beautiful as neons.

Ill have to see if I can find some. We are limited to lfs here, and all the ones I've checked only had the neons.

This is my Apisto Panduro pair, super guys - do get a bit cheeky when breeding, but it's only a bit of a chase nothing to serious.

Sometimes LFS's can order requests for people. Your at least lucky you have LFS. Here other than the PetCo's and Pet Smarts we have one true fish store for freshwater. And this is a big city. Bad economy made for most stores closing. I have actually had to ship almost all my stock in. It sucks but at least I get what I want. Try asking, the worse they can say is they don't do that.

I just sent an email to one of them. They are kind of a chain. There is one here in Houston, and one in Dallas. I am hoping maybe they have different fish in Dallas that can be shipped over. Thank you all for your input. I got some really good ideas. I am so ready for my tank to be cycled so I can start stocking! Hopefully in another month or two it will be fully stocked! :) :thanks:

I am soooo jealous borderlesscott... I was suppose to get two pairs and it didn't go through. Seems Europe has a much better selection of SA dwarf cichlids available. Here unless you can find an actual breeder, there is only one place I've found that will actually send you pairs if you request. One other place that will do the same on rams.

Crazy when you think that they originate from South America, I got mine from a well known breeder in England. Love my two, Sharon and Ozzy - Sharon though tiny, no one dares mess with her.

jrcoolt said:
I might go with something like this:

5 x Gold Tetra
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
5 x Neon Tetra
2 x Cockatoo Apisto (Apistogramma cacatuoides)

I am just afraid the neons will get eaten.

Your Neons won't get eaten unless they are very very tiny. Apistos aren't called Dwarf Cichlids for nothing :)

Back
Top Bottom