Stocking a new 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUEaquarium06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to get a really nice fish, maybe 2 fish that's are real attention getters. I would like them to be fairly reasonably priced. The only ideas I have right now are discus or 2 nice angelfish. This tank is going to be in my living room so everyone is going to see it instead of my basement and bedroom where my other tanks are

I wouldn't do only two discus as they could end up being too shy. Either 2 angelfish or a pair of trio of Pearl Gourami's would work well. A pair of Keyhole cichlids would work but may not have enough wow factor for you.

I haven't done discus since the 80's and personally I prefer a larger tank for them. I don't think you could fit many or any more in that size tank but could be wrong on this one.

Yo could do maybe 9 rainbows if your just using them. Just be sure to get a good male to female ratio.

Apisto of some sort. Pretty small fish and some of them have crazy colours and markings

Rams or apistos are good attention getters as long as you have dither fish to help keep them feeling bold. They have beautiful colors and will constantly beg for attention/food from anyone that comes by the tank. If you're looking for extra wow factor, use rainbowfish as dithers. Threadfin rainbows are my favorites because the males have attention grabbing fin flicking displays when they're squaring off with each other or when trying to attract a female. They also stay small, so you can fit more of them in for a more natural looking display.

Back
Top Bottom