Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YLD

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys
So I have a 46 gal with so far the following:
2 Corys
1 Algae eater
1 Hillstream (butterfly) loach
1 dwarf gourami
1 nerite snail
3 glofish
3 neon tetras
2 blk neon tetras
3 Mickey platys
4 baby platys (real tiny)

My q is: how many more fish can I have? They are all little so it looks kinda empty plus I like some other fishes at the store.

You can probably get a few more, but I'd be patient with the fish sizes. I mean, they'll all get bigger if you care for them properly, so just because it looks empty now doesn't mean it's not fully stocked. Too empty is better than too full, and they will grow up!

They seem fine, active and eating. I def want more glofish I love the colors and another Cory but I don't want 6 of them :/

3 or 4 cories would be fine, IMO, that and three glofish and you're probably set and can start thinking about other types of fish.

What are your temp/water parameters?

So with the 3 glofish I have is fine then? They are very very active not sure if they are like that or are stressed. The corys are active too one more than the other so I'll get one or 2 more.

My temp is 73-75 and parameters are fine.

Ah, I was gonna suggest a ram, but not with that temp... hmmm... you could definitely do a few more neon tetras. What kinds of fish do you want though?

Aren't Ram cichlids? I don't like aggressive fish.
Well I like those glass catfish? But I think the need a school too and they doesn't even have colors lol also like a kuhli but can't find one. I saw this fish at the store all I remember was it says peacock and it was small and pretty but can't find info about it. And another one I think he said goby? it was blue but idk if those are peaceful.
What fish would u guys recommend? A non aggressive one but pretty!

rams are very peaceful cichlids! and if you brought your temp up to about 78 you could have oe look em up the beautiful

Ohhh let me check that out! :D thx

german blue
RamBlue1.jpg

bolivian
Ram-Bolivian.gif

Wow that bolivian one is very pretty! The only thing is my ph is a little high for them too. In liveaquaria.com says 5.0-7.0 and mine is always 7.7 lol too bad, anyways I never seen them in any store around there...

well actually most fish are breed ow and are much more hardy to water paramerters (ad that bolivian is a rare case most dont get that pretty)

Hi guys
So I have a 46 gal with so far the following:
2 Corys
1 Algae eater
1 Hillstream (butterfly) loach
1 dwarf gourami
1 nerite snail
3 glofish
3 neon tetras
2 blk neon tetras
3 Mickey platys
4 baby platys (real tiny)

My q is: how many more fish can I have? They are all little so it looks kinda empty plus I like some other fishes at the store.

Awesome tank. Yes most of your fish will stay pretty small. The gourami will prob top out at about 2.5" and the platties probably at 2" (though 3" is possible).

What is the "algae eater"?

I would add 2 more cories, they are happier when there is atleast 4. I would also add 3 more Glo fish or zebra danios, a school of 6 is best for them and you will really enjoy the way they all zip around together. They can also get a bit nippy if not kept in a group of atleast 6. Do your black neons and neons school together? If so, I would add 2 more of either to get the shcool size on those to 7. Then things would be perfect and you'd still have room to add. In theory, you should still be able to do a ram even with your pH. However, glo-fish/danios are super active fish and rams are very mellow, so that wouldn't be my favorite mix.

A school of 6 glass cats would be lovely :)

Yes one of the platys is like a little big, like the same size as the gourami. When the 4 platys grow I'm going to have a total of 7 then. Are they going to have the same Mickey markings as the parents? do you know?? I can't tell they are soo tiny now.

The blk tetra was a group of 3 but one died and yes they kinda swim together at times. The best ones are the neons - they school so nicely all the time.

The algae eater is a gold one, very pretty, I think is Chinese but I'm not sure. Is growing fast right now is like 3". That was one of the first ones and I didn't know they are semi aggressive but he is doing great so far.

The glo are sooo active but all they do is chase each other all day like crazy! they are not schooling nicely right now. I'll buy 3 more.

I like those ram but Ive never seen them in the store or maybe is because I never look to the cichlids section.

Aren't Ram cichlids? I don't like aggressive fish.
Well I like those glass catfish? But I think the need a school too and they doesn't even have colors lol also like a kuhli but can't find one. I saw this fish at the store all I remember was it says peacock and it was small and pretty but can't find info about it. And another one I think he said goby? it was blue but idk if those are peaceful.
What fish would u guys recommend? A non aggressive one but pretty!

Glass catfish are amazing, but yeah, you need a school. and not need like tetras need, but NEED, haha. I think you could get 5 in there and be done though if you wanted those. =]

Do you mean peacock gudgeons? They're often labelled gobies, but we have two and they're fantastic, I highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom