Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martymc83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone can come up with any suggestions on a couple of fish to complete my community tank.

I have a 165 litre tank, Its my first tank and has been running for ~3 months now. I test the water weekly before and after a 20-25% water change and its pretty stable at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 5-20 nitrates (cant tell difference of the 10/20 api test card colours haha), PH has always been at 7.8 and keep the temp at 25.

Stock wise I have (in order they were added):

11 white cloud mountain minnows
7 lemon tetra
2 burmese border loaches
4 bolivian rams (juveniles ~2-3cm)
1 bristlenose pleco (juvenile ~2cm)

I'm thinking of rehoming 2 bolivian rams if two pair up and become aggressive to the others but if they can all get along with each other that would be great. I do have a lightly stocked 60 litre to move fish over to to create a bit more room in my large tank if needed.

I have 4-5 live plants in the tank including water sprite (floating and planted), a crypt (not sure type), and a couple of others plants again not sure on types.

I'm looking for colourful centrepiece fish really, a decent size ....I was thinking about Boeseman's rainbowfish but as they need to be in a group of more than 6 I don't have the room (or can they get along as a pair?)

AqAdvisor puts my setup at 58% as it is now moving to 87% capacity adult size but I have been told that AqAdvisor is a little strick with its stocking % ??

Anyway that's why I'm here for the advice so if anyone has any idea's / thoughts please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Marty

update

Anyone?

Some more info if needed , tank dimensions 84x44x59cm. 1000l/h in hood wet/dry filter

One other question, what do you guys think of my stock level? was messing round with aqadvisor and adding 5 x Boesemani rainbowfish puts my stocking level at 115% (once everything is fully grown) I'm leaning towards getting some of these guys but don't want to create a bad environment for the current fish by overstocking!

Do you think aqadvisor is being a little conservative?

Thanks Guys

Your tank is roughly 45 US gallons. Boesmanis are beautiful fish, but they are too large for your tank and too large to mix with WCs.

Personally, I think that your tank is close to being fully stocked. Maybe add a school of rummynose tetras, but that is it.

Thanks for the advice , I think I may hold off on the rainbows then.

I don't really want to add more small fish, Is there anything else a bit bigger and more colourful that could work with my stocking?

If not I may keep the tank as is.

Thanks again

I went to lfs at the weekend and came home with dwarf neon rainbows as suggested by mambee. 5x (2 males & 3 females)

They looked a bit dull in the store but after a day in their new home they have brightened right up! I think they are a better fit for my tank so thanks again mambee for the suggestion

Marty

Back
Top Bottom