stocking ideas for a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, we have a 29G tank, deco'd with some plastic plants, driftwood, and some misc mountain deco. Current stock, 3 platy's, 3 mollies, 5 guppies, 2 black skirt tetra's, and 1 pleco. I was thinking about 2 different fish, 1 being and Angel, and the other a mono sebae(sp). Will these fish do good in a tropical community, or would they be too agressive? What would you recommend if not those, I am wanting a fish with colors, but bigger than the mollies and what not. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,

Bear

The mono sebae is a brackish water fish, if I'm not mistaken. You must add marine salt (not aquarium salt) to achieve the desired specific gravity in a BW tank. I know a lot of stores sell these fish as true FW fish, but they will not thrive in FW.

An angel would prefer a larger tank, but keeping 1 angel is doable. I'm just speaking from experience here, I have really seen a difference in my angel's activity level since moving it from a 29 gallon to a 45 gallon a few weeks ago. It is likely that a large angel will eat your guppies. How about a gourami? A gold gourami would be very pretty and colorful, and it does get larger than your mollies. I'd suggest adding to your school of black skirts. They would appreciate being in a group of 6 or more.

we are planning on some additional black skirts, as they are some trippy fish...I'll look into the gourami's...and maybe get the angel when we get the bigger tank...thanks again :)

Oh, I suggested the gourami in place of the angel since it is likely that the angel will eat your guppies. I wouldn't add both.

a paradise fish or maybe 2 if you can get a M/F (otherwise the males will probably fight harass eachother in a tank that size) or perhaps a Rainbow (not sure how big these get might be able to get 2) would add some color. the Paradise fish is blue, light blue, and orange and mine had a reflective blue lining on outer edge of fins (think turquoise light) Rainbows vary but are a silver body with red, orange, yellow, purple on the top/anal fin area the ones in my LFS also show off blue and green depending on light and position (like a chromis does)

severum mama said:
Oh, I suggested the gourami in place of the angel since it is likely that the angel will eat your guppies. I wouldn't add both.
I was meaning that the angel would be in the bigger tank with bigger fish, and keep a small tropical in the 29... :)

flip_lx said:
a paradise fish or maybe 2 if you can get a M/F (otherwise the males will probably fight harass eachother in a tank that size) or perhaps a Rainbow (not sure how big these get might be able to get 2) would add some color. the Paradise fish is blue, light blue, and orange and mine had a reflective blue lining on outer edge of fins (think turquoise light) Rainbows vary but are a silver body with red, orange, yellow, purple on the top/anal fin area the ones in my LFS also show off blue and green depending on light and position (like a chromis does)

It will be a little while, as the tank isnt cycled just yet, but thank you for the hints. If they are cute enough, we might get some...I'd love to get a lil freshie puffer fish...but she wont let me...LOL

I have a few gourami tanks. They are quite fun but it has been my experience that Golds and Oplaines (another nice color choice) are -very- rambunctious and will pick at their tankmates a lot. Ive never personally had any tragedy involved but ive seen it stress out some less hardy types of fish. They seem to especially pick on smaller fish.

The dwarf gouramis might make an colorful fuller body addition. They are active but mine have always been rather peaceful. They are smaller too (2-3in?). They have the draped feel of an angel with their long feelers. Just my $0.02 :)

once last bit steer clear of puffers, one they almost are all brackish water and the most commons sold are fin nippers. general thoughts on board are a species only tank

will also agree on the dwarf's there are some very striking reds and blues that i've seen. best thing i can say is start looking through your area fish stores to not only see the fish available and to also learn about the stores and find some that you really like with a helpful and knowledgeable staff

well, we have located our fish store from here on out...they have a pretty large selection of fish, and seem pretty knowledgable. I appreciate the heads up on the puffer, and maybe when we get a couple more tanks, we can setup a brackish tank...get some brackish fish, puffer, mono sebae, and maybe some other brackish fish...how does one setup a bracksih tank? any hints suggestions?

severum mama said:

Angels eat guppies? Is that why i havent been able to keep them for longer than 3 or months before they turn up dead?

I have issues with my Angel giong after my Otos, but my Otos are too fast for her. Same with my Danios and Cherry Barbs.

I think i have an odd stocking....but it seems to work.

1 angel fish
2 bala sharks
2 silver dollars
1 CAE
2 SAE
1 Flying Fox
4 Black skirt tetras
5 danios
5 Otos
2 Cherry Barbs
1 Black Molly
5 Platys
1 Mystery Snail

LOL, it is my experience that anything that will fit into a large angel's mouth will eventually end up there!

papa_bear_21 said:
I appreciate the heads up on the puffer, and maybe when we get a couple more tanks, we can setup a brackish tank...get some brackish fish, puffer, mono sebae, and maybe some other brackish fish...how does one setup a bracksih tank? any hints suggestions?

Brackish is basically a SW with a lower salinity (1.022-1025 for sw) just buy some marine salt and mix it in to your water for that tank and you use ahydrometer or refractometer to check. IF your werer looking for decoration type i'm not sure probably lots of driftwood and maybe some plants that could handle the salt level. if you wanted you could get 1 dwarf pufffer and put him in a small cheap aquarium(say 5 gallons) look through

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/intro1.htm

for dwarf puffer info

Back
Top Bottom