Stocking ideas for a 75G? Come on in and give me ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garbro

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have been piecing together a 75G freshwater tank setup. I am going to go with a classic community but I want to spice it up with some oddball fish and some larger fish. Without overcrowding, I want to have a pretty good amount of fish, I am building a 20G sump with a ~550 gph return pump to put below it which should handle the bioload. I plan on having it planted with driftwood and some larger rocks for hiding/decor.

Right now I have a 20G tall running stocked with:
5 Giant Danios
2 Angels
1 Pleco
1 Guppy
1 balloon Molly
1 Redtail Shark
All of which are no older than 5 months.

Here are some fish that I am interested in for the future 75G

Black Ghostknife
A school of silver dollars
Rainbow fish (amount?)
Sailfin mollys (again, amount?)
Some kind of catfish
Multiple tetras (neons, penguins, ???..)
Another Pleco
More angels

Lemme know what you guys think and please leave some suggestions!

Garbro

Some porthole catfish would be nice. The red tail shark would harass any fish with similar coloration.

Same coloration as the shark? I read that they become aggressive towards other sharks, but to any fish with red?

So far my shark does not show any aggression other than maybe chasing the danios around occasionally.

Any fish with black or red might be harassed.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The black ghost knife and the silver dollars will grow too large for your tank. Are you going to move your existing stock to the new 75? As for tetras cardinals are a better alternative to neons as neons tend to die randomly unless you get good stock. also cardinals will be less likely to be harmed by your angels as they get older.

Dang silver dollars too big for a 75G huh? That's a bummer. And yes my existing stock will go into the 75G.

What are some larger options for my tank? Even if it's only 1-2 fish I would like to have some bigger species in there, like 8-9 inches or even larger.

I know that all the popular large fish species like oscars are out of the question, but there has to be something out there that matches what I'm looking for.

Silver dollars are perfectly fine in a 75 gallon

SOME Silver Dollars (the most common kind that you are likely to see at big chains and such, not Red Hooks) are ok for a 75 however I wouldn't call them community fish. They're big, belligerent fish that can frighten smaller fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Without the guppie you could do a red spot gold severum. But not if you have plants they will destroy them. A kehole cichlid is another option

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could always do native fish like sunfish or bullhead cats. Rock bass are a good option if you want a predatory fish in there.

Rainbow fish are awesome for that size tank.
If it's planted can't go past blue rams and apistos.
Bottom dwellers Cory's are always a good option.

Some good suggestions. I'm looking to stay away from predatory fish really, although I know that takes away a lot of my options for larger fish.

I think my dilemma is I want to keep my smaller fish and have the large fish. I feel like a large catfish is starting to become my best option for a large "peaceful" fish.

Most catfish in my experience will eat anything it can fit in its mouth :/

Yes for sure. Only so many place to run.
You can't go too small cause of the angels.
Rummy nose and cardinals will be fine

What about a rope fish? I've seen people with them in 55 gallon tanks before.

Honestly if you want one fish in there thatll get big do a tiger oscar. Ive always had the best luck with them and there extremly intelligent and sweet. But you wouldnt really be able to do much more, maybe a sengal bichir

An oscar isn't the right fish for the rest of the stock that the OP has said will be in there. I understand you were pointing it out as more of a single fish, but she alreasy has stock in a 20g that needs to go into this tank since it gets too big for a 20g.
There is really not much big that you will be able to keep. Big fish eat smaller fish. So, that limits you. Try looking into the paradise gourami, apistos, dojo loach. There are some amazing rainbows our there you could consider as well. I am not sure what catfish you are considering as a large, peaceful fish. Catfish are typically quite predatory. Something small like the porthole cat would be good, but they are pretty tough to find.
As for numbers, that depends on what things you want.

I've had "upside down" catfish before and they are very odd and interesting creatures. They're very entertaining to watch and always got along well with their tank mates.

Back
Top Bottom