stocking issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnova

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just added five cherry barbs to my ten galling planted tank three days ago, which already had five pristella tetras, and 10 red cherry shrimp(9 now, have no idea what happened to one)

I know I overstocked my tank because two days after my 50% pwc my ammonia readings were 0.25(this morning, first time in months I had anything above zero!!!) I did another 50% pwc and my fish seemed more energetic

Two of my cherry barbs died, one day apart from eachother
I think it is poor stock(petsmart), I am left with three cherry barbs! Is this still overstocked?? I really am beating myself up for this, I should have not gotten the cherry barbs :/

I had ten cherry barbs and I dropped down to 2 and all my water readings were pristine so for me it was bad stock. Now my ten has 2 cherry barbs, a male Betta and a bumblebee goby and nothing is wrong. The goby is so cool!

So, you now have 5 pristellas and 3 cherry barbs? IMO, yes, you are still overstocked. Both Pristellas and cherry barbs would do much better in more like a 20g tank IME. They are probaly ok right now since they were likely small when you got them, but in order for them to grow to their proper size, see all their behaviors, and live out their potential lifespane of 3-5 years, then I suggest you upgrade your tank if you can. If you can't do that, I suggest you return the cherries if you can. Sorry.

Yeah, I asked for advice on what I can add to my ten gallon tank, got cherry barbs as a suggestion so I went with it

It was my mistake, now I'm thinking of rehoming my tetras and my cherry barbs as both are not suitable for my ten gallon :(

I would love to have a bigger tank for them, but my parents don't like my hobby I guess

The thing is I feel bad for the fishes going back to petco conditions, I don't have any friends who will take them off my hands either

Just rehomed tetras and barbs, going for guppies now since they are more suitable for my 10 gallon, how many can should I be able to keep??

Since they will have lots and lots of babies, I wouldn't suggest starting off with more than 5-6. I don't know the ratio of male:female as I don't keep the species.

Guppies should be kept with 2/3 female to each male. If you don't want them to mate resulting in LOTS of babies then go for an all male tank which is what I have! :D

I went with four beautiful female guppies, and one beautiful male guppy

No competition for male, and plenty o women for him aswell :wink:

My lfs is the best, they will take my baby guppies
(Offtopic- saw a 2 foot black ghost knife there yestersay!!!!!)

Those guys look really great! I really like how pretty your females are. :) I breed my guppies specifically for pretty females because people at my lfs are more likely to buy them. :)
Good job rehoming your other fish. Guppies should do pretty well in your tank.

Thanks a lot! I will breed them and keep the best of the offspring! :)

Back
Top Bottom