Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

stocking suggestions for a 40gal.

hello everyone,

i just finished cycling my 40 gal. and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for stocking. i'm most interested in some more colourful, active fish.

i'd also like to try some live plants but as i've never had live plants before i was wondering which ones would be best for a beginner

Old 03-24-2004, 04:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First, think of what type of temperaments you want. Do you want peaceful, semi-aggressive, or aggressive? What size of fish do you want? 6-9" or a bunch of 4" or smaller? What is your pH and hardness?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #3

i think probably peaceful to semi-agressive, smaller fish.

pH is around 7.4
gh is about 5
Old 03-24-2004, 05:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You want peaceful. Semi-agressives need to be with each other--minimizes problems and you want fish good for a beginner

Go to liveaquaria.com and under fish, look at freshwater. Not all the fish are good for beginners and not all are peaceful. However, this will give you an opportunity to do some of your own research (the more you know, they better off you are). Compile a list and we will help out afterwards. That site also gives ideas of size, temperament and ideal tank mates. Have fun!

Old 03-24-2004, 05:37 PM   #5

thanks! looks like a very informative site, i'll let you know what i come up with
Old 03-25-2004, 12:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I look forward to it!
Old 03-25-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also suggest checking out the krib faq site ( http://faq.thekrib.com/ ), especially the "first aquarium" "aquatic plants" and "good and bad fish" sections. Its a lot, but will give you all the important info you'll need for starting the tank and which fish would work well.

I assume you have a handle on the nitrogen cycle? Just to be sure, when you say you've cycled the tank, you've done a fishless cycle with an ammonia source and the nitrifying bacteria have colonised the tank? Or cycled the tank with some fish already?

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:13 AM   #8

thanks for the site

i did a fishless cycle- i'm not a complete beginner, i've done puffers for a while and now i'm switching back over to fw. i wish i had've found this site a long time ago everyone here is so helpful and there's tons of great info.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:54 AM   #9

ok so here's what i'm thinking:

2 dwarf gourami
true rummynose tetra- how many?
1 redtail shark- i already have one that i want to transfer in
harlequin rasbora- do i really need 8-10?
maybe some rainbow fish

tiger barbs?
clown loaches?
can/should i add these?

what about any fw shrimp?

so any suggestions? especially about numbers and such
Old 03-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Clown loaches like to be in groups of three or more and will one day out grow your tank. There are smaller loaches--yo-yo, Khuli. Tiger barbs have a nippy rep and will munch on the gourami's feelers, they may also harass other fish. Personally, I don't keep Barbs because they just don't seem community oriented enough. Tetras are a schooling fish; I would get 3 or 5.
I have never kept rasboras, but they are probably happiest in groups. There is a ton of rainbow fish--some stay smallish (2 1/2") and they go up from there.

From what I have heard, FW shrimp are great.

Can someone answer why you need schooling fish in odd numbers??? I keep reading that.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:06 PM   #11

ok so maybe i'll leave out the barbs then since i'd really like to try the gouramis because of the colours.

i like the khuli loaches, my parents used to have some i just haven't found any here yet
Old 03-25-2004, 05:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I cannot find the orange and black Khuli loaches out here; just gold or black, which look like worms *YUCK*. I was talking to a LFS employee who said their last shipment of the striped Khulis did not survive.
You're tank is shaping up to be quite nice
Old 03-26-2004, 02:19 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Not two dwarfs..they wil pair if opposite sex and harrasss tankmates, if same sex males the stronger fish will eventually harrass the other to death if not outright kill it. It is One colisa or 3. Even three invites some aggression amongst themselves.

I am not sure why odd numbers in non aggressive fish. Usually odd numbers split a bullys attentions in semi-aggressives.

Gourami are not strict top dwellers as they are sold to be. They are wrongly classed so very often. They actually like to hang at the bottom unless they are nesting or swimming. And that means it may get to be a prob with your shark as it matures and gets testy. Clowns will out grow you faaast. You may need to check alternative loaches out..see the species index at Loaches online(www.loaches.com). most are just as kooky and patterned and have smaller adult sizes.

My overstocked 40 has: BlackGhostKnife, 2 cories, 3 clowns, 5 Red phantoms (small highbody tetras), 8 rummy nose,6 penguinfish (finally counted now that they are all large I seem to have picked up quite a few wextra that day!) and then one out of place bettafish. Most move to a SA biotope this summer. As the tetra grow to tehir adult sizes it is getting crowded in the midwater.I wouldn't dare add my colisa to this tank or all heck would break out. The betta is at most risk becuase he is slow and must expose himself to refill the labyrinth organ. Lucky the tetra accept him well. so don't nip his long trailing skirts.

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:46 PM   #14

the reason i thought about getting 2 dwarfs is that the lfs i saw them at will only sell them in pairs. what to do......

ok, so definitely no clowns.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:36 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Shame on the LFS!! I didn't comment on the gouramis because I don't keep them. Are there other LFS around that you can look at?
As Christmasfish said, check out loaches.com--there are so many out there.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:51 PM   #16

there is a petsmart and a small lfs- they mostly do sw though. the one that is selling the gouramis in pairs is aqaurium services- it was recommended to me by a guy with huge mts

anywho, i'll take a look at that site and let you know what i come up with
Old 03-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Hmm, if you could buy 3-5.
that is weird..they should know better if they are a stocking service.
Or maybe you are to get a second pair after your first pair becomes a solo?
You may get away with 4 if it is 3 females and a male. 2 = a mysteriously dead gourami one morning..regardless of sex.
The omega will get picked at though.
If they were pearls or three spot varieties then you could do it. but then you have the size/bioload thing. Those would still fight but are not as likely to kill each other, since they are less aggressive and do shoal loosely.
the MTS guy prolly likes the general condition and prices..

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:50 PM   #18

i think i'll make a trip to the lfs tomorrow and see if i can get 3 and find out why they sell in pairs.

so i checked out loaches.com and i'm thinking about some yo-yo loaches- what do you think?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:55 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you like the "zippiness" of barbs, you can substitute cherry or rosey barbs (I'm partial to rosies myself). They keep things lively, but aren't nippiy like the tigers. . . LOL, I'm getting ready to stock a tank about the same size myself, and have decided on dwarf gouramis and rosey barbs for sure.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:21 AM   #20

hmmm, yes, i like barbs too.... so many decisions....

Tags
40 gallon, stocking, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com