Strange behavior-Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I rearranged my tank and ever since, my Dwarf Gourami has been acting strangely. He hides most of the time and rarely comes out, even at feeding time. He does come out to eat, but if I walk up to the tank, he freaks out and dashes off to his hiding place.

Does anyone have an opinion? It's been several days now, but actually he was kind of hanging around at the top of the tank before. I hope I'm not going to lose him. I've had him about 6 months and he's been doing well in my community tank.

Thanks-D

Try leaving the lights off for 24 hours. Sometimes they need to get readjusted after a rearrangement

I rearranged my tank and ever since, my Dwarf Gourami has been acting strangely. He hides most of the time and rarely comes out, even at feeding time. He does come out to eat, but if I walk up to the tank, he freaks out and dashes off to his hiding place.

Does anyone have an opinion? It's been several days now, but actually he was kind of hanging around at the top of the tank before. I hope I'm not going to lose him. I've had him about 6 months and he's been doing well in my community tank.

Thanks-D

He's super stressed out. I had this same problem with my Dwarf when I rearranged the tank and added new tank mates. The stress ended up killing my DG so keep an eye on him. My gourami was always super active and alpha, but in his last days, he wouldn't stop hiding and barely ate. The stress really can kill a fish.

Is there any other fish in the tank? Sometimes these changes can cause a reestablishment in the pecking order causing aggression to come out when it was absent prior to the change.

Dwarf Gouramis are just not as hardy as they used to be, unfortunately.

David

Is there any other fish in the tank? Sometimes these changes can cause a reestablishment in the pecking order causing aggression to come out when it was absent prior to the change.

Dwarf Gouramis are just not as hardy as they used to be, unfortunately.

David

Yes, I have quite a few and it's a very peaceful community tank. I watch it all of the time and there's no aggression or chasing at all. I have tetras, rasboras, mollies, platys-all the normal easy going fish. He's starting to come out a little more now. I would have NEVER thought he would have gotten so freaked out. It didn't seem to bother any of the others at all.

I'll also leave the lights off and see if that helps.

Thanks all-D

Back
Top Bottom