strange question of removing chlorine from tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arrow1234

Aquarium Advice Regular
long time no see, people, :)
so i just visited an Asian aquarium forum, and they tend to have another way to remove chlorine from tap water. some of the people there they let the water remain overnight, ie, let the tap water sit wide-opened for a period of time.

is this an efficient way?
have u ever tried/heard this method b4?
if this will work the same as using chlorine remover, i think i will do that asian way, cause i still consider the chlorine remover is kinda chemical, am i right ?

or do u guys have another way to remove chlorine from water?

thank you :)

This allows the chlorine to evaporate

This, however, does not let the CHLORAHIME evaporate. Depending on what your water supply has in it (not all include chloramine) you have to use a dechlorinator to rid yourself of it.

neverheard that before but i leave my water out overnight anyway to adjust to room temp. but still wouldnt you need to stir or cause a current to get the chlorine from the bottom of your container up to the top to evaporate?

the chlorine evaporates by diffusion. the concentration of chlorine in the atmosphere is miniscule compared to that of the water so the chlorine comes out on its own. Depending on your water supply, the aeration alone of the faucet is enough to remove chlorine. Chloramine, however, once formed can only be removed with chemical additives. This is why you must check your tap as stated above to see if there is ammonia in the water. Usually when I do a water change I splash a little treatment in there to get any chloramines just to be safe since I am not going to continually test my tap water on a weekly basis, lol.

Just to elaborate on the good information above:

You can't always assume that municipal supplies don't contain chloramines. And even if yours doesn't use chloramines, that doesn't mean that won't begin to use them without advance notice. ( I learned that lesson the hard way a few years ago).

oh.. thank you for the info~
so this method will only remvoe chlorine from water, but the chloramines(if exsists in water) are still in the water ? and the chloramines will still kill the beneficial baterial, am i right ?

Its called "aged" or "aging" tap water. Chloramine is only slightly different from chlorine on a molecular level. Aquarium dechlorinators cause chloramine molecules to UNLOCK themselves into chlorine molecules, to put it roughly, and then they become ammonia pretty much. The plumbing industry found that chlorine rots metal pipes, but chloramine doesn't so they use it instead. Either way, aging tap water can be effective if you age it long enough, but why bother? Just use PRIME like I do!

feeder_guppy said:
i heard that you should put the tap water outside in the sun.

probably just speeds up the process, but if you let water sit out overnight it achieves the same thing.

CaptnIgnit said:
feeder_guppy said:
i heard that you should put the tap water outside in the sun.

probably just speeds up the process, but if you let water sit out overnight it achieves the same thing.

According to ponders, letting water sit out in strong sun for a WEEK or so will break down chloramines so that it (as well as chlorine) will be gone.

This is useful if you have a few thousand gallons of water to treat & want to save on dechlor. But for the aquarium, it is less bother to use Prime.

Back
Top Bottom