striped raphael catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought one of these guys last weekend. After acclimating him I added him to the tank and have not seen him since 8O Is that normal? I know they are nocturnal but I haven't seen him at all. On an interesting note he did make a sqeaky sound when I took him from the store bag to transfer him to the tank.

talloulou said:
On an interesting note he did make a sqeaky sound when I took him from the store bag to transfer him to the tank.

That's why they are known as the talking catfish. :lol:

Being reclusive is pretty normal and he should have plenty of hiding areas to choose from. He may show himself more over time. Congrats on the new cat.

I actually have the spotted species, two of em. They will stay hidden ALL day. You have to really look to even find them.But mine will come out just as soon as the lights are off.
They can hide is some weird places too. Their pectoral fins can "lock" into position securing them in place. Mine like to brace themselves upside down in small holes in my driftwood.
And the sound they make is made from two bones that they rub together. Just the same as you gritting your teeth. Mine do it everytime I "net" them. :D

I have several dozen talking cats that I have literally not seen in the better part of a year, so do not be surprised if you rarely see them at best.

I agree with everyone else. I have heard of them being called the "croaking" catfish. They can make some pretty wild noises.

Good luck with the new cat.

Keepers that I know of try blood worm after dark to tempt them out - that seems to work. But it's definately a hidden catfish species.

I have 4 of these guys, 2 each in different tanks. I rarely see them, but whn I do, it's a treat! One in my guppy tank comes out every evening when I feed the guppies and eats the falling food, and one in the ciommunity tank does the same. The second one in the community tank has wedged himself between some rocks and you have to look really hard to find him, but he's there.
They are absolutely beautiful fish, I wish they wouldn't hide :?

Back
Top Bottom