Strong Current?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Quick Aquarium rundown:
15Gallon, Tall
Older (no-bio wheel) hanging filter
Powerhead and optional under gravel filter.

2-Cory Cats
5 or 6-Cherry Red shrimp
1-Otocinclus Catfish
3-Zebra Danio
2-Almost fry size guppies

This is a planted tank and I have a homemade CO2 reactor hooked up. Once and a while the Cory Cats gulp for air but nobody else dose.

Here is my question:

This morning I woke up and one of my Otocinclus Catfish had died, I still had one left, so I removed the body of the old one and went to class. I came back and the cat that was left was looking droopy and sitting around barley breathing. So I quickly looked up common ailments and saw that they enjoy swifter waters (I did all the necessary tests for pH etc some a bit off but within acceptable areas). So since it said they like swifter waters I put the power head back in and turned it up a little. After standing on its tail for a few minutes (quite odd behavior if I do say so) the Otocinclus picked right up and started joyfully spinning around the tank. The power head is deep enough not to create surface turbulence but it dose spit out quite a bit of air when its starting up. Do you think this had something to do with it or was it the swift waters?

The exact setup is the power head is running forwards (water from the bottom to the top) but immediately in front of the water output is the top of the under gravel filter and it probably absorbs 50% of the water flow and it also forces the CO2 below the gravel to filter up that way.

Next, If I leave the power head on a stronger setting, will I need to worry about the fish? Should I turn it down for their sake? Right now they are seeming fine and dandy but I’m just looking for advice.

One last thing: Tank just recently finished cycling

First of all, please go into detail about "some of the tests seem a bit off". specifically list pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. If you happen to know your General and Carbonate hardness, list those too.

Also, how long did the tank take to cycle?
When were the otto's added?

btw, I don't recommend UGF's for planted tanks.

Sure thing..
ph: 7.4
Nitrte: ~0-0.25ppm (scale of color card dosn't permit for more specific measurments)
Ammonia ~0 - 0.5mg/L (Same as above, much much closer to 0)

No nitrate test.

I didn't do these before
GH: 9
KH: 12

KH looks a little high, do I need to get it lowered? If so how?

Out of curriosity I did a KH test on my tap water, the KH is 12 so atleast I know where its comming from.

The otto that died last night had been in the aquarium for about a week. The one thats still alive mabey 1/2 a week.

Tank has been cycling for 3weeks give or take with the Danios and guppies (all the guppies have been removed).

Well, otos also are noctornal, so don't be surprised to see them just sitting there. Mine all hide under driftwood 95% of day and work at night.

I know but they are usually more active then this. I'm jsut worried becasue one of em went belly up last night.

Ok I dont actually know, but I have read that, but I have seen plenty of sites that dont say either way.

Cory cats always go to the top for air.....that's normal. And I think Otos occasionally do this as well though not as much as the corys.

However your numbers seem to suggest that either your tank isn't finished cycling...is it new? Or if it's an established tank something has caused it to go through a mini cycle. Your nitrites and ammonia should read clearly as 0.

Also you should get a nitrate test. Once a tank is established it's the nitrates that help with determining water quality.

Otos are considered by many to be a more delicate species so if your tank is going through a cycle that could be the problem. And you have no idea what your nitrates are....which could be a problem.

Otos as well need lots of fresh veggies as they tend to quickly go through available algae. I personally believe many otos starve to death.

As far as your powerhead....it is possible to "tire" some fish out with too strong a current. So I'd keep an eye on that and make sure your not creating too much current. I would think too strong a current would be hard on your guppy fry.

Yea... I'm 100% certian thats how the first batch of guppies died. The wals are hard. I felt bad :(

This tank is old but might as well be new, had to move it (without the fish in it) to my college dorm. Guess too much of the bacteria died when I drained it.

I'll go grab som fresh veggies ASAP, do they have a prefrence? The srhimp like squash :)

I'll go to walmart and get a nitrate test as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Also I toss alge wafers in every day (1/2 in the morn 1/2 in the afternoon) and between the corys and the shimp they dissapear quickly. Will the Ottos eat those?

Thanks for the reply. I'll go grab somthing tomrrow.

Ok Added zuchini and he is sitting on it right now, shrimp like it too.

Nitrates are around 7 somwhere between 5-10

Back
Top Bottom