Stuck on Nitrites!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmg996

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help! Ive been cycling for 4 weeks now and ive had my nitrite spike, but ive stalled!! Ive done 3 50% water changes within a week and a half and a 25% and parameters are still the same, ammonia 0-.25, nitrites 4-5 nitrates 5-10, what am i doing wrong?? I do have fish, because my friend is moving tomorrow and cant take his tank and i expected my tank to be cycled by now, i have one small angel, 2 odessa barbs, one cherry barb, 2 head and tail light tetras, and 3 julii corys, and some baby plants, christmas moss, queen sword?? something along those lines and a val. Im so frustrated! Its 30 gal with a penguin 170 running, temp is 79. :banghead::banghead:

tmg996 said:
Help! Ive been cycling for 4 weeks now and ive had my nitrite spike, but ive stalled!! Ive done 3 50% water changes within a week and a half and a 25% and parameters are still the same, ammonia 0-.25, nitrites 4-5 nitrates 5-10, what am i doing wrong?? I do have fish, because my friend is moving tomorrow and cant take his tank and i expected my tank to be cycled by now, i have one small angel, 2 odessa barbs, one cherry barb, 2 head and tail light tetras, and 3 julii corys, and some baby plants, christmas moss, queen sword?? something along those lines and a val. Im so frustrated! Its 30 gal with a penguin 170 running, temp is 79. :banghead::banghead:

You have fish in there now, or are you getting some tomorrow?

They are in there, my LFS does fish cycles so i used 8 feeder platies to cycle, but got these 5 days ago and gave the feeders to a neighbor who put them in a 10 gal, new fish havent affected levels at all

tmg996 said:
They are in there, my LFS does fish cycles so i used 8 feeder platies to cycle, but got these 5 days ago and gave the feeders to a neighbor who put them in a 10 gal, new fish havent affected levels at all

I can't imagine how your fish are still alive with your no2 at 4-5ppm. How are your fish acting (gasping at surface, sitting at bottom/corner of tank)?

How are you testing your water (strips or liquid)?

I'd suggest doing back to back 50% PWC asap to get your water parameters under control. Ammo <.25ppm, no2 0ppm (close to) and no3 at 5-40ppm.

Ive had most of these fish before and their acting normal, the angel moves around protecting is territory, goes in my sword and eats normal, my barbs swim around and chase eachother, my cories go around looking for food, and my tetras go around too, ive done soo many 50% changes, i did one today, i test at my lfs every other day they use API :banghead:

tmg996 said:
Ive had most of these fish before and their acting normal, the angel moves around protecting is territory, goes in my sword and eats normal, my barbs swim around and chase eachother, my cories go around looking for food, and my tetras go around too, ive done soo many 50% changes, i did one today, i test at my lfs every other day they use API :banghead:

If they're telling you that your no2 is at 4-5ppm using a liquid test kit, there's something strange going on IMO and I'd suggest you get your own API FW Master test kit and do your own testing. I've seen fish die in less than 1ppm of no2 in 36hrs time.

I would but unfortunately ive spent most of my money, cant afford an API for my own, im going to start going there daily to get tests, what could be wrong? Nose of my fish look sick, i feed every other day, ive changed 225% of the water in a week and a half, ive siphoned the rocks to lower the nitrites, havent touched my filter, raaawr!!

tmg996 said:
I would but unfortunately ive spent most of my money, cant afford an API for my own, im going to start going there daily to get tests, what could be wrong? Nose of my fish look sick, i feed every other day, ive changed 225% of the water in a week and a half, ive siphoned the rocks to lower the nitrites, havent touched my filter, raaawr!!

Is there another LFS you can go to and get a good (liquid) test done? I just can't see how that's right myself.

Is there another LFS you can go to and get a good (liquid) test done? I just can't see how that's right myself.
Nope, only LFS in my city, ive done business with them for 10 years and i trust them, but some of their employees seem a little, new, to be nice. Should i do a 50% tomorrow then bring a test, and i have biozyme which is supposed to break down nitrites into nitrates, should i use it? Any ideas whats wrong, their mistake, very hardy fish, whats going on??? :(

tmg996 said:
Nope, only LFS in my city, ive done business with them for 10 years and i trust them, but some of their employees seem a little, new, to be nice. Should i do a 50% tomorrow then bring a test, and i have biozyme which is supposed to break down nitrites into nitrates, should i use it? Any ideas whats wrong, their mistake, very hardy fish, whats going on??? :(

Gotcha.

I'd be suspect of the no2 test results, just because it's so high and the others aren't that bad. So if they're using a liquid test kit, the no2 test is 5 drops in 5ml of water, shake for 5 seconds and let stand for 5 minutes to see accurate results. I'd watch them do the test and make sure they're doing it right.

Hardy fish is right, maybe call Ripley's believe it or not lol.

What do you use to dechlorinate your tap water?

Gotcha.

I'd be suspect of the no2 test results, just because it's so high and the others aren't that bad. So if they're using a liquid test kit, the no2 test is 5 drops in 5ml of water, shake for 5 seconds and let stand for 5 minutes to see accurate results. I'd watch them do the test and make sure they're doing it right.

Hardy fish is right, maybe call Ripley's believe it or not lol.

What do you use to dechlorinate your tap water?
I use dechlor, i was told i could add 2 drops per gal instead of one, so chlorine isnt messing with my test results, they have a chart with instructions on it that they use, ill look myself and watch them tomorrow, i was suspecting they were wrong, if the tests are right, im screwed lol

Not necessarily. As I've mentioned in other threads, nitrite toxicity is relative to ph among other factors. It is possible to have a high level of nitrite and not have a total tank wipeout. Does that mean the fish are safe? No, start doing water changes and keep it in check.

tmg996 said:
I use dechlor, i was told i could add 2 drops per gal instead of one, so chlorine isnt messing with my test results, they have a chart with instructions on it that they use, ill look myself and watch them tomorrow, i was suspecting they were wrong, if the tests are right, im screwed lol

Sorry don't know that one.

Yep, there's something going on with the person doing the testing IMO. If the no2 has been that high for more than a couple days, your fish should be toast already I think and the fact that they seem like nothings wrong, the test person has you worried for no reason lol :ermm:.

IVe been stuck on nitrites for almost 2 weeks, done 4 50 % water changes and a 25% within that week and a half, none of my chemicals have moved except my nitrate, which was barely anything at all, went from light orange to darker orange, still considered 10

Sorry don't know that one.

Yep, there's something going on with the person doing the testing IMO. If the no2 has been that high for more than a couple days, your fish should be toast already I think and the fact that they seem like nothings wrong, the test person has you worried for no reason lol :ermm:.
But about 4 diffrent people have tested it with the same results, and yes im VERY WORRIED!!

tmg996 said:
But about 4 diffrent people have tested it with the same results, and yes im VERY WORRIED!!

It could be their kit too, out of date bottle or the way they were trained to do the test. Seen that last one too many times in my biz lol.

Just too odd, but if your fish are acting normal, I'd say relax a bit and keep an eye on them. If you see signs of them getting sick (gasping at the surface is a 1st sign), then do a 50% PWC asap.

It could be their kit too, out of date bottle or the way they were trained to do the test. Seen that last one too many times in my biz lol.

Just too odd, but if your fish are acting normal, I'd say relax a bit and keep an eye on them. If you see signs of them getting sick (gasping at the surface is a 1st sign), then do a 50% PWC asap.

Their test does look old, do the bottles have an expiration date on them? if so ill ask if i could look at them, ill relax for tonight, its only 1:30 in the morning huh?:nono:

If post `12 is yours, i did respond, you never did respond....:rolleyes:

I didn't see a direct response to my statement so I didn't know you were talking to me.

I don't understand what you mean by 'stuck on nitrites'. Just dealing with a spiking nitrite level? Nitrites can and will go away with water changes.

If you have fish in the tank, and its a fairly new tank, and your ammonia level is nil, and your nitrate level is minimal, then I would say the nitrite reading is probably accurate.

Back
Top Bottom